March 2, 2010

BookList: 3 Best/Worst Sidekicks to a Hero


The Book List is just a short and fun meme that allows you to share books and make a list of books!

The way you do this meme is simple:
  • There is a different topic each week, which will be posted here.
  • You write a post on your own blog about the topic. The post will be a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic.
  • You may include photos with your lists, especially if that helps illustrate your point.
  • You link back to the week's post here on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here.
  • Then you come here and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list!
  • There is no obligation to post every single week. Participate when you can!
Sound fun? Then join in!

This Week's Topic is:

3 Best/Worst Sidekicks to a Hero (you can choose 3 best, 3 worst, or a combination of both.)

My List:

1. BEST: Dr. Watson to Sherlock Holmes- Seriously, who else would have stood by Holmes all these years? And who else would have asked the questions that the reader needed to ask Holmes? It wasn't elementary at all! Plus, he makes a good narrator.


2. BEST: Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger to Harry Potter- Hermione has the brains- she knows every potion and spell in the book. Ron has the comic relief, plus the Weasley's are like the family Harry never had. Harry would not be half the wizard he is without his loyal friends.


3. WORST: Robin to Batman- While some may disagree here, Robin just seems pathetic to me, even though he has saved Batman several times. He just doesn't have anything going for him other than Batman lets him hang around and wear the bright uniform- the really obvious one. His name is even pathetic. Who is afraid of robins?


So, who makes the list for you?

Play along by posting to your blog or, if you don't have a blog, play along in the comments. Here is the Mr. Linky for your blog post. If it does not work for you, you may leave your link in the comments section, too. I am currently working on making the master list for all of the books we list!




Upcoming Topics:
~3 Books That Take You Back to High School
~3 Books That You Loved as a Child
~3 Favorite Book Covers

13 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I've been waiting for this post the entire day (it's already 5:40pm here)...

    I love your picks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot about Holmes and Watson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    It's next week's topic that I'm waiting for! Unfortunately, I'm not much for sidekicks. (I actually used Google to get some ideas . . . but then realised that was cheating! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee! I totally would have chosen Hermione for Harry but I worked on having 3 new choices. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would argue its depends on a) the robin, b) the 'age' of the book and c) the 'batman'.

    Golden Age Batman and Robin might as well have shacked up and been lovers in my opinion, they were useless otherwise. Silver Age Batman and Robin were slightly better, but not by too much (though Robin on his own in Teen Titans at least stood a chance of being interesting). everything from 1985 onwards (Post-Crisis timeline wise) is so jumbled!

    There's Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie and I'm sure I missed a Robin in there at some point. And that's not even including the alter-ago changes Batman himself went through! (Bruce Wayne, Azreal and Dick Grayson...) I mean. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I loved Robin when I was six and have never quite gotten over it. I enjoyed the one Batman remake where they gave Robin a bit of backstory as a circus acrobat.

    But okay, it's a slightly ridiculous fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jeanne: actually that's Dick Grayson's actual storyline from the comics, so the movie (um, I'm assuming you mean the movie Batman Forever) actually got that part correct.

    Just...he was supposed to be like 7 years old XD

    I like Tim Drake as Robin, but I don't like what they've turned his character into in the last decade or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whee! No posting from school, so I had to wait until I got home to see what you and others came up with for this one. Great choices. Without Hermione and Ron (mostly Hermione), Harry would never had made it through. No mater if he was the Chosen One.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure I read a lot of books with sidekicks in them. Maybe Mr. Bingley to Mr. Darcy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this. I will try to join you next week. Here is an award because I love your post. Check it out at http://booknook516.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. +JMJ+

    Now that I've read everyone's lists, I think I could probably make my own . . .

    1. Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings
    2. Eilonwy, Fflewddur, Gurgi and Doli from The Book of Three and The Black Cauldron (I haven't read the rest in the series)
    3. Sally from the Encyclopedia Brown books

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome question. (And once again I got nothing.)

    I love your answers ... and I think Robin is kind of a loser too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to go with Holmes and Watson, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!