March 25, 2010

April Austism Awareness Challenge


Pixie from The Page Turners Blog is hosting this great challenge. Here is what she had to say:

April is Autism Awareness Month, and I wanted to do something a little different to spread the word, so I came up with this challenge. A few of our affiliates have signed on to help us spread the word(Mundiemoms & Eves Fan Garden). We would love for other blogs to join us during the month of April- in return we will be giving away a preordered copy of Harmonic Feedback.

What do you need to do?

Starting April 1st 2010
  1. Copy and past our ASD button into your sidebar(located in the sidebar)
  2. Read and Review a book or multiple books dealing with ASD or learning disabilities.
  3. Link your reviews in our comment box
  4. Regular Contest Rules Apply
Very easy! At the end of April we will put all the participants into random.org and pick a winner.

Here are a few updated statistics on Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD)- taken from Autism Speaks.

* Autism now affects 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys
* More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined
* Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
* Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
* There is no medical detection or cure for autism

As an early childhood educator, I was trained in special needs education and Austism is not to be taken lightly. It is becoming more and more prevalent among children. I am definitely taking Pixie up on her challenge and I look forward to understanding Autism more in-depth.

4 comments:

  1. What a great challenge - I hope it does a lot to raise awareness of autism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea for a challenge! There is a saying that I firmly believe in ... if you've met one child with Autism, you've met one child with Autism. Unlike cholesterol or heart disease, ASD presents itself differently in each person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy- Me too!

    Terry- I like that saying, too. It is a saying that could go for fibromyalgia, too, which I have and which also presents differently in every person it touches. I am going to be writing a post for this Challenge as well to raise Awareness. Be sure to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this challenge and hope it brings lot of awareness. My daughter has Down syndrome and think it would be fun to do a challenge for that as well...maybe when I get caught up on my sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!