March 25, 2010

20 Questions with Trisha from Eclectic-Eccentric!

This is 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better! Today I would like to present to you the fabulous Trisha of Eclectic-Eccentric. Isn't she so adorable? Read on and get to know Trisha a little better!

20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought: I wish I could say it’s been ages since I’ve bought a book since I’ve been on a book buying ban for about four months now. Unfortunately, I’m weak. Very weak. I just went crazy at Barnes and Noble and BookMooch.

2. Last book you got in the mail: BookMooch is currently my obsession as I have about 135 points. I think I have about 14 books coming in right now, but the last book I received was To Be a Slave by Julius Lester.

3. The first book you read over and over: The very first was The Story About Ping, which my mother says really gave her the creeps since it’s not exactly a happy-go-lucky kids book, but I made her read it to me over and over again as a child. Since I began reading on my own, Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings have taken over as my go to books.

4. Children’s book every child should read: Hands down, no question about it, The Phantom Tollbooth. What a tremendous book!

5. Favorite place to read: A hammock on a beach. I spent one ten day vacation in Mexico doing almost nothing else. Wondrous! Unfortunately, most of my reading is done on my couch….

6. A book you bought just for the cover: White Oleander by Janet Finch was the first book I bought for the cover, and I’ve only done that one other time since. Jenners’ Take A Chance Challenge had participants do this for one of the tasks, and I ended up with The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

7. Scariest book ever read: Ooooohhhh…Stephen King’s The Tommyknockers. Psychotic pseudo-alien-human hybrids who are extremely violent with no empathy whatsoever. Terrifying.

8. Most romantic book ever read: Hmmm…Austen and the Brontes come to mind immediately for their sweet romance, Nora Roberts comes to mind for the sexy sexy romance, Twilight for the I’d die without you romance, but I would have to say Anais Nin’s Henry and June as it sort of covers all the bases.

9. Book that changed your life in some way: I never really enjoyed plays. Actually I don’t think it ever crossed my mind to read plays, until I happened upon The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams. I can’t even fully recall the circumstances of starting to read it. But I adored it and it inspired me to read more plays.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: The Lord of the Rings and Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy are probably pretty equal in re-reads.

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: Aaahhhh! No Cliff’s Notes. Ever. Although I think I would have benefitted from them while reading Jean Baudrillard’s Simulacra and Simulation.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: Oddly enough the most recent book I read that sparked some dictionary diving was a YA novel by Anthony Horowitz. Words like sesquipedalian popped up from time to time.

13. Book you like that no one else seems to: I am drawing such a complete blank on this question. There always seems to be some handful of people that like any particular book – especially in the book blogging community. In real life, however, I can’t seem to find anyone who enjoyed Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials series. Can you believe it? I loved those books

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: The Adoration of Jenna Fox seems to be the most recent. I thought it was so-so and everyone else seems to want to make out with it for long stretches of time.

15. Number of books you own (you can guess): I log most of my books on Library Thing so I have a pretty good guess that I’m at 1400 or so at the moment. I know, I know. It’s ridiculous. I actually am going to have to add on to my house if I keep going at this rate.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): This list is in numerous places – Library Thing, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, sticky notes on my refrigerator, but my best guess is about 160. My TBR list would take me over a year to read if I just stuck with those books and didn’t add anything new.

17. Must-have reading accessories: A pencil and a pad of paper nearby. I only take notes about 50% of the time – the rest I dog ear important pages (so sue me) – but I do like to have the necessary items to write nearby.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: I actually have never thought about this to tell you the truth. But I am macabre enough to think visiting some of my favorite dead authors’ gravesites would be fun. Now if we are talking about fictional literary destinations, I think I’d like to jump on a spaceship with Ford Prefect, take a class with Professor Snape, or be a part of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I can also think of a variety of other places I find fascinating, but would probably be unsafe to visit such as the world in Lord of the Rings and all of the dystopian novels.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: You must be joking. Favorite authors? How could I choose? There are so many that are so wonderful! Neil Gaiman, Agatha Christie, Rowling and Tolkien (but only for their respective popular series), Jane Austen, yep, I just refuse to be limited to three, Charles Bowden, Hunter S. Thompson, okay I’ll stop now. I really don’t have a handful of authors I read over and over again. Books are my thing, not authors, if that makes sense.

20. Three Book Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future: Raych from Books I Done Read, Nymeth from Things Mean A Lot, and Amanda from The Zen Leaf.


*Great news: Amanda has already participated in 20 Questions back in August, and you can see her responses here!

From Becca:
I used to love BookMooch, but it seems the last four or five months the well has run dry for me there. There doesn't seem to be a lot of books I want to borrow. I am being pretty picky though, because I have enough to read that I don't need books that I might want to read someday, you know what I mean? I am pretty impressed with the word "sesquipedalian" all up in a YA novel. I need to look that word up! I love that you want to visit dead author's gravesites! I always was curious about Edgar Allan Poe's. It is a popular destination! Thanks so much for participating today, Trisha! You rock!"


Check below to see who is appearing on 20 Questions next! There's a great lineup!:

~Natasha (aka Vasilly) of 1330v (4/1)
~Staci of Life in the Thumb (4/8)
~Kathleen (Callista) of SMS Book Reviews (4/15)
~Michelle of The True Book Addict (4/22)

~Lenore of Presenting Lenore (4/29)

8 comments:

  1. The Phantom Tollbooth is one of those books that I never even heard of until about 6 months ago, when I was 30! So ridiculous, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chuckled when I read what she said about The Glass Menagerie. I read it in high school and didn't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friends forced me to read His Dark Materials about a year ago. They were pretty good books! Otherwise I never would have read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! I really like The Story About Ping and The Phantom Tollbooth, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun reading the answers, as always! But hearing about dog-earing is like hearing fingernails on blackboards! My husband used to do that too until he could no longer take my nagging. I use stickies, but my husband won't - instead he underlines (in ink) passages he wants to remember. I don't know which is worse! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1400?!? I think Trisha's books need their own house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeez .... 1400 books! Trisha should have a book buying ban for the next 5 years!!!

    And I recently read "The Story About Ping" with my son and it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

    And I agree with "The Phantom Tollbooth."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Golden Compass, and liked the second one okay, but the third one? It seemed like Pullman had to tie so many details together that the story never really took off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!