February 14, 2010

A Painter's Life by K.B. Dixon

BOOK #: 5
REASON READ: ARC/ARE, ARC Reading Challenge, Indi Authors Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge, RYOB Challenge
PUBLISHER: Inkwater Press (inkwaterpress.com)
GENRE: Fiction/Arts/Epistolary
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/143
RATING: 3.5 Stars

A Painter's Life is a quirky little book that is a mixture of journal entries, review excerpts, and interviews of the artist Christopher Freeze. It takes you inside the art world and puts the reader in the shoes of a struggling portraitist. It focuses on the struggle of one artist to make something both beautiful and personally satisfying.

The quirkiness of the book comes in the format. Each chapter begins with a paragraph or two of background information. It then moves on to "Excerpts from the Unpublished Journals of Christopher Freeze", which I thought was the most entertaining section of each chapter. The chapters then end with either a review blurp by some art critic of a painting he had done or with part of an interview Freeze was having with a journalist.

I think that this book is probably an acquired taste in that not everyone will appreciate the format that the book is written in. However, I did like the epistolary/random style. It was challenging to get into the first couple of chapters, and then I easily slid into appreciating the different style of writing of Dixon in this book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates irony, small snarky jokes, and anyone who is interested in what the life of a struggling artist really entails.

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, the book sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I would like the format. I actually used to work for a portraitist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound quirky but I'm not sure it is for me...or that I fully understand what it is about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I knew who this Christopher Freeze is. I looked up the name, but the first couple entries were Christopher Freeze Tenor and Christopher Freeze Flight Instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds perfect for Heidenkinds Art History Challenge-I only have one book left to read, and have been looking for something different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds very fun! I will have to keep an eye out for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charley- I have to apologize for making it confusing. Christopher Freeze is a fictional character. The book is written in a journal-like format for the life of this fictional artist.

    Buckeye Girl- I enjoyed it. I don't think it is for everyone, but if you'd like to give it a shot, e-mail me and I will send you the book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!