February 25, 2010

Kristen from We Be Reading on 20 Questions

Welcome back to 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better!

Today I would like to present to you Kristen of the fab blog We Be Reading! Thank you, Kristen, for playing today!

20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought: I'm about to put in a pre-order for The Weed That Strings The Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley -- the follow-up to The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

2. Last book you got in the mail: An ARC of Heresy by S.J. Parris that I had forgotten I requested from Shelf Awareness. I think I asked for it months ago.

3. The first book you read over and over: Either The Wizard of Oz books or the Raggedy Ann and Andy books. I absolutely loved those ones and had copies at home which made it easy to read them as many times as I wanted.

4. Children’s book every child should read: The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf. Make love, not war!

5. Favorite place to read: Our new-ish couch has the chaise lounge on one side and it's a great spot but I also love to read in bed. And in the summer, I spend most evenings reading outside in the yard. This last week we had unseasonable warmth so I sat on the porch steps to read since our lawn furniture is packed away for the winter.

6. A book you bought just for the cover: I'm not really a cover-only shopper but I will pick up any book with the silhouette of a raven or an iron gate on it!

7. Scariest book ever read: The answer to this one is always The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright. I read it when I was maybe ten or eleven and it was about dolls re-enacting a murder scene every night in their dollhouse and I accidentally left it on my dresser by my own dollhouse one night and, well, I'm sure you can guess the inevitable frightening thoughts that I had! I'm good at imagining things that go bump in the night.

8. Most romantic book ever read: I always thought it was Gone With the Wind until I matured and realized how terrible Rhett and Scarlett's relationship really is. So now I would say it's Possession by Jane Austen. I think Aarti quoted from it recently ... so romantic!

9. Book that changed your life in some way: Probably Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead -- not for the economic philosophies or the dysfunctional love stories but just for the "it's not wrong to be smart or original" themes.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: It used to be Gone With the Wind at eight or nine times but now I've probably read the first Harry Potter that many times too. I'm a huge re-reader so most of my favorites have at least two or three re-reads already -- if not more.

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: None so far although if I ever actually start reading Joyce's Ulysses, I may go hunt them down.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: I don't usually need a dictionary for English books but I'm obsessed with looking up French phrases when they show up in a book I'm reading. I hate not knowing what the little asides are!

13. Book you like that no one else seems to: A couple of Salman Rushdie books (The Ground Beneath Her Feet is one of my favorites),The Thirteenth Tale, The Historian. Those are the ones that come to mind right away. I know some people like them but others seem to strongly dislike them.

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: Drood by Dan Simmons. I waited for the hate reviews to roll in but it was mostly just mine!

15. Number of books you own (you can guess): LibraryThing says 540 and then the husband has more and Z has maybe 150 already. Oh, and then we have text books and cookbooks and stuff. So probably around 1000. All I know is that we don't have anywhere near enough bookshelf space. Most of them reside in stacks around the house.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): Only 35 on my Amazon list that I want to buy for sure but my library list has just passed 200 that are just "to read" books. Yikes!

17. Must-have reading accessories: Definitely a blanket and slippers. I get cold when I read.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: I think just finally getting to London would be the highlight of my life.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Agatha Christie, Gregory Maguire, Diana Wynne Jones, Jasper Fforde ... that's three, right?

20. Three Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future: I think some of my favorites have already been through here and these ones may have done this already but I'll say Lena (of Save Ophelia), Simon (of Savidge Reads) and Jemima (of The Reading Journey).

From Becca: I am trying to read The Historian right now and can't quite get into it. It is moving very slowly. And, how did I not know Raggedy Ann and Andy had books? I loved my dolls. I need to look into those books. I, too, enjoy reading outdoors when the weather is warmer. I am ready for that weather right now!

Check below to see who is appearing on 20 Questions next! There's a great lineup!:

~Jill of Fizzy Thoughts (3/4)
~Michelle of Galleysmith (3/11)
~Trisha of eclectic/eccentric (3/18)

~Natasha (aka Vasilly) of 1330v (3/25)
~Staci of Life in the Thumb (4/1)
~Kathleen (Callista) of SMS Book Reviews (4/8)
~Michelle of The True Book Addict (4/15)



Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

16 comments:

  1. I'm half way through The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie right now and can't wait for the follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone! I hated Drood too much to post about it - I didn't want to suffer the wrath of my fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    On #8:

    Would that be Persuasion by Jane Austen or Possession by A.S. Byatt? =) They're both quite romantic, but in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice catch, Enbrethiliel! It's Persuasion. I haven't read Possession yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get cold when I read too and get all wrapped up in a blanket. Kristen sounds like one smart cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read Kristen bad review of Drood! I don't know, I got through it... can't really say I liked it. :P

    The Dollhouse Murders sounds really familiar; I think I might have read that book when I was younger. It was pretty creepy. But then I got creeped out by The Indian In the Cupboard, too, so there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait for The Weed book either!!! I'm #1 in the hold list at my library!! I've never read The Wizard of Oz but I have watched the movie over a million times!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved both The Historian and The 13th Tale. And London. :-D Kristen definitely needs to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview. Can't wait for the new Alan Bradley book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too am waiting for the Alan Bradley sequel. I love Flavia de Luce!


    I loved Drood, but I know how it feels when you don't like a book everyone raves about. Makes you think you read a completely different book

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Kristen!!!

    And I too loved "Ferdinand." Such a great story. I've been reading it to my son and he doesn't quite get why I love it so much. But he will!

    And I love that you get sucked in by ravens and gates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a great poem by Stephen Dobyns in his volume entitled Cemetery Nights about the Ferdinand story. It's called "Querencia." Maybe I should post it soon so you can easily read it, but it's long!

    I used to bring in my copy of Ferdinand when I taught that poem, and it was always amazing to me how many college students hadn't already read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, I'd already posted it here: http://necromancyneverpays.blogspot.com/2009/01/where-you-are-most-dangerous-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeanne - I just read the poem. How lucky Ferdinand was to get to return to the field and I'm fascinated by the idea of querencia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun answers. I like Thirteenth Tale too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!