February 16, 2010

BookList: Books That Make Me Long for Warmer Weather


So, the way you do this meme is simple:
  • There is a different topic each week, which will be posted here.
  • You write a post on your own blog about the topic.
  • The post will be a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic. So, for example, if the topic were, say, 3 Books That Make You Want to Go Shopping, you would write a list of 3 books that when you read them made you want to max out your credit card. I have no idea what those books would be, but you get the picture.
  • You may include photos with your lists, especially if that helps illustrate your point.
  • You link back to the week's post here on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here.
  • Then you come here and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list!
  • There is no obligation to post every single week. Participate when you can!
Sound fun? I hope so!

This Week's Topic is:

3 Books That Make Me Long for Warmer Weather

1. Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

When Victoria Leonard answers the phone in her Manhattan office, Caitlin's voice catches her by surprise. Vix hasn't talked to her oldest friend in months. Caitlin's news takes her breath away--and Vix is transported back in time, back to the moment she and Caitlin Somers first met, back to the casual betrayals and whispered confessions of their long, complicated friendship, back to the magical island where two friends became summer sisters. Caitlin dazzled Vix from the start, sweeping her into the heart of the unruly Somers family, into a world of privilege, adventure, and sexual daring. Vix's bond with her summer family forever reshapes her ties to her own, opening doors to opportunities she had never imagined--until the summer she falls passionately in love. Then, in one shattering moment on a moonswept Vineyard beach, everything changes, exposing a dark undercurrent in her extraordinary friendship with Caitlin that will haunt them through the years. As their story carries us from Santa Fe to Martha's Vineyard, from New York to Venice, we come to know the men and women who shape their lives. And as we follow the two women on the paths they each choose, we wait for the inevitable reckoning to be made in the fine spaces between friendship and betrayal, between love and freedom.

2. Hello Ocean by Pam Munoz Ryan

I share this book with my students whenever we study water or the ocean or seasons.

Spend a day at the beach, and take in the ocean through the senses of sight, hearing, feeling, taste, and smell in this lively romp through sand and waves. Glorious illustrations of water, sun, and sky accompany brief, evocative verses, making this a perfect keepsake of a seaside vacation or a striking introduction to the pleasures of a day by the ocean.

3. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

The Newberry Medal-winning story of a 12-year old girl who lives alone on a Pacific island after she leaps from a rescue ship. Isolated on the island for eighteen years, Karana forages for food, builds weapons to fight predators, clothes herself in a cormorant feathered skirt, and finds strength and peace in her seclusion.

What books bring you back to a nice summer day?

Play along by posting to your blog or, if you don't have a blog, play along in the comments. Here is the Mr. Linky for your blog post. If it does not work for you, you may leave your link in the comments section, too. I will be making a master list for all of the Book Lists eventually.





Upcoming Topics:
~3 Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
~3 Best/Worst Sidekicks to a Hero in a Book
~3 Books That Take You Down Memory Lane to High School

12 comments:

  1. Aah I so long for the warmer weather. I am sitting looking out of our window and feeling cold and fed up. I need to read a summer book to cheer me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all making me wish for warmer weather right now! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Islands of the Blue Dolphins, I loved that book when I was young. That might need to be re-read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read "Island" in years. Thanks for inspiring my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've readthe first and the third. Great choices.
    Like Water for Chocolate might warm you up on a winter's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, I'd kind of forgotten Island of the Blue Dolphins. I'm sitting here thinking of it on a day so snowy both the colleges I work for have canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Summer Sisters, but the ending ruined it for me. It is definitely a good one to warm you up though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always drawing a total blank on these list topics!!! I need a computer downloaded into my brain that I can access about books to answer them.

    I just got Island of the Blue Dolphins to read.

    I think many of Luanne Rice's books (which used to be a staple of my bookshelves back in the day) make me long for warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally with you on Island of the Blue Dolphins! Haven't read it since I was a kid, but whenever I think of that book, I think of warm and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one was a tough one for me, strangely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read SUMMER SISTERS years ago, but I don't know the other two you listed; seems they would be good for my older kids.

    Yes, everything is making me long for warmer weather these days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!