January 18, 2010

Bookish Discoveries 01-18-10

Bookish Discoveries

AROUND THE BOOKISH WORLD:

1. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead wins the 2010 Newberry Medal. The book is a YA mystery about a 12-year-old named Miranda who finds clues to the mystery in the classic literature "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle. It is being said that Rebecca received a tweet (via Twitter) by an eager Random House employee that gave it away minutes before it was announced at the awards ceremony.


2. Miep Gies, the woman who helped hide Anne Frank and her family during the Holocaust, passed away in the Netherlands January 11th. She was 100 years old. Thanks to Anna for this story!

3. Here is an excerpt from a Salon.com article on Susan Clancy's book on child abuse that I think you might find interesting. I did, at least.

"More than a decade ago, a 42-year-old man walked into the office of Susan Clancy, then a Harvard graduate student working with child abuse victims, and made a revelation that would help shift how she viewed her entire field. When he was 9 years old, the man said, a friend of the family had sexually molested him over a six-month period. The man kept the abuse a secret from his wife and family for more than 30 years and was struggling with feelings of shame and problems at work. But this wasn't nearly as surprising as what he revealed next: When the sexual abuse was happening, the man said, he wasn't even upset.

Clancy tells the story in her new book, "The Trauma Myth," not only to startle readers, but also to describe the extent to which she believes many people in the medical establishment have misrepresented the realities of child abuse. The book marks a controversial break with the current line on sexual abuse."

Continue reading the interview at Salon.com.


4. Best-selling author Jackie Collins admits to affair with Marlon Brando at the age of 15.

5. After years of children's fantasy literature being the top tier, it looks like this year might be the year for children's lit's more serious stories.

6. Great piece on "The Elizabeth Gilbert Experience" on Bookslut. I adored Gilbert's Eat Pray Love and I am hoping to get to her other books soon, as I was discussing with Monica and Vasilly on Twitter the other day. So this one is for you guys. :)

7. Claudia Roth Pierpont dives into contemporary Arabic literature. If nothing else, it makes you ask yourself the question, when is the last time I picked up Arabic novel? If you're like me, it was exactly 4 weeks and 2 days from never. Reading this article will give you insight into it and give you some reads to start off with as well.


INTERESTING DISCUSSIONS GOING ON:

8. The Story Siren asked the question, am I a bad person for not noticing race as an issue? And Black-Eyed Susan defends her stance in pointing out race in literature. What do you think?

9. Misfit Salon discusses judging a person by the book they are reading. I know I have been guilty of it. Have you?

10. Have you seen Presenting Lenore's brilliant idea for an International Book Blogger Mentoring Program?

11. This post was from last week, but I really enjoyed reading why Chelsea of The Page Flipper loves to read YA books.

12. This post is also from last week but I had to give a shout out to Amanda of The Zen Leaf blog for her post on why GLBT reading is important.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link, Rebecca. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for spreading the word about IBBMP. It is getting an amazing response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great links this week. There's been a lot going on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post Rebecca!! I'm going to read When You Reach Me. Several students have read it and liked it. Now I have to see why it won the Newbery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for pointing out to me the discussion, Rebecca - I hadn't noticed it when I saw this post before. I've actually read both the blog posts you linked to and they are interesting discussions. I don't know that I fully agree with either party. I'm sort of in between both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for mentioning my blog, Rebecca - and even more for that juicy gossip about Jackie Collins and Marlon Brando :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize Jackie Collins was so old!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!