January 28, 2010

20 Questions with Jemima of The Reading Journey

Welcome back to 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better.

Today I would like to present to you Jemima of The Reading Journey. Welcome, Jemima! Thanks for sharing with us today!

20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought: Henry James: The Imagination of Genius A Biography by Fred Kaplan (it was second-hand)
2. Last book you got in the mail: Writing About Literature 9th Edition by Edgar V. Roberts
3. The first book you read over and over: It would have been a children's book, but I don't remember which one.
4. Children’s book every child should read: The Potato People by Pamela Allen
5. Favorite place to read: On the couch
6. A book you bought just for the cover: The Dover Thrift Edition of Austen's Emma
7. Scariest book ever read: I don't really read scary books.
8. Most romantic book ever read: Well, I like romance that ends tragically and my favorite is The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James.
9. Book that changed your life in some way: The Bible
10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: None that I can think of specifically, though I do like to research some books to see if I missed any themes. The postmodern authors are sometimes difficult for me.
12. Book you needed the dictionary for: I don't use the dictionary when I read. If there are difficult words, I just guess the meaning from the context.
13. Book you like that no one else seems to: I love the classics and a lot of my friends haven't read them at all. They are bored by classics and excited by the latest release books.
14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: James Patterson books
15. Number of books you own (you can guess): Approximately 200 (I don't often keep books I don't love)
16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): Approximately 20
17. Must-have reading accessories: Book marks, track pants, soft couch and good lighting.
18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: Nathaniel Hawthorne house/museum
19. Top Three Favorite Authors: Henry James, Edith Wharton. Erick Setiawan and Miles Franklin (having focused so strongly on literacy, my numeracy skills suffered)
20. Three Bloggers You Want to See Featured for 20 Questions in the Future: Beth of http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Jenny Girl of http://jennylovestoread.blogspot.com/
Sheila at http://bookjourney.wordpress.com/



Thanks so much, Jemima! I am all for the latest releases, but I am also a fan of the classics. I haven't read many but I have read several and I love a lot of the language and ideas. I do tend to get bored at the beginning because I am ADD and older literature does generally begin slowly, but once you get past that a lot of the stories are great. They are classics for a reason!

Check below to see who is appearing on 20 Questions next!:

~Deb of Bookmagic
~Heather of Tales of a Capricious Reader
~Susan of The Book Chook
~Kristen of We Be Reading
~Jill of Fizzy Thoughts
~Michelle of Galleysmith
~Trisha of eclectic/eccentric

~Natasha (aka Vasilly) of 1330v
~Staci of Life in the Thumb


Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

10 comments:

  1. Jemima sounds like one smart cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathy!! I have to use my dictionary every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up The Potato People (by Pamela Allen) but couldn't find much about the book other than that the grandmother and grandson make potato people on a rainy day. Can you say any more about why this is one every child should read?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking to myself "We don't seem to really have that much in commmon" but then I saw she doesn't like James Patterson either!! It just goes to show you can always find common ground with a fellow reader ... even if it is only in who you both choose to dislike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to read Henry James. :) Not The Golden Bowl, though--that movie was boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Rebecca! Sorry that I am a couple of days late checking in. I started a new full time job this week after being a stay at home Mom for ages. Quite an adjustment.

    Well, I just like the Potato People for kids because it is such a great example of what good kids books should be. It is fun and has a simple story that kind of comes around full circle. It shows the grandma and little boy being creative and it shows the life cycle of a potato (in an exaggerated way) Pamela Allen always has great rhythm, which makes her books fun to read out loud to kids. I am glad that The Book Chook loves it too.

    Jenners - that is right. We readers always have something in common!

    I think that I am on a kind of Henry James/Edith Wharton phase at the moment. It will pass and I will move onto some other fixation soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to clarify - I thought of The Potato People because I was thinking of little bitty kids and picture books. I just love the books for the 2-4 year old range.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like Dover Thrift Editions, and Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton is a lifetime favourite. What an interesting list of questions. And such a smart way of doing it. Give the questions ahead of time. I'm going to do this one. I think you'll have posts to keep you going for a while. Smart idea-and fun for us too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!