January 15, 2010

20 Questions is Back with Jeanne of Necromancy Never Pays!!

Welcome back to 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better.

Today I would like to present to Jeanne of the blog Necromancy Never Pays. Thank you so much for sharing with us today, Jeanne!



20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought: I had been reading about Justine Larbalestier’s new novel Liar since the cover controversy and saw some comments about spoilers over at John Scalzi’s Whatever that made me think I needed to read the book itself before I read anything more about it, so I went by Borders after class because the kids had rehearsal after school--so I didn’t have to rush home—and also I had some free book coupons (the last I will get from a now-defunct credit card offer).

2. Last book you got in the mail: Dangerous Angels, ordered from Amazon after reading Nymeth’s enthusiastic review.

3. The first book you read over and over: Harriet the Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh. I read it throughout my eleventh summer because we were in Hawaii and I didn’t have many other books with me.

4. Children’s book every child should read: The Hobbit, A Wrinkle in Time, A Child’s Garden of Verses, The Secret Garden. I think children should read a lot of books, so stopping at four should actually qualify as restrained.

5. Favorite place to read: well, my favorite place to read would have to be on Waikiki beach! My usual place to read is in an armchair with a footstool and a cat on my lap.

6. A book you bought just for the cover: I checked out Donna Tartt’s The Little Friend from the library just for the cover—it had a creepy but intriguing picture that followed me with its eyes.

7. Scariest book ever read: When I was a kid I read a book of vampire tales my parents told me not to read, and I had nightmares about it for years. The scariest book I’ve read as an adult was Andrew Klavan’s Empire of Lies, because it’s scary to think there are people in the world who think like the main character does.

8. Most romantic book ever read: Sense and Sensibility. I like the gentle way Austen makes fun of the attempt to be rational and practical about love.

9. Book that changed your life in some way: (I always answer The Handmaid’s Tale for this one, so I think I’ll pick a different one this time.) When I was in college, I read The Magus by John Fowles. Not only did the dreamy mystery of it haunt me for years, but I read everything else by him I could lay my hands on, and he was trendy in literary circles throughout the 1980’s. When it was time to take my graduate record exam in English, I found that several of the questions were about Fowles novels, so I scored even higher than I would have anyway, being such a voracious reader even outside of classes.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: The Lord of the Rings. Some people (like Christopher Lee, who plays Saruman in the movie) reread it annually. I dip back in every couple of years or so.

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: Ahem, as an academic I don’t exactly approve of those. I did need help to read James Joyce’s Ulysses the first time. I used a guide that related each chapter of Ulysses to the episode it referred to in Homer’s Odyssey.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: I think I may have looked up a word used in a footnote by David Foster Wallace in his collection of essays Consider the Lobster. He’s the only writer I can think of who has a bigger vocabulary than I do and can manage to make me that curious.

13. Book you like that no one else seems to: A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski. This is the first of her science fiction novels that are again available courtesy of print on demand.

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: The Time Traveler’s Wife. It’s not very good romance and doesn’t even try to be good SF, so I found it unremarkable and am puzzled by the response it continues to get.

15. Number of books you own (you can guess): My guess is that my household contains around 3,000 books, many of them paperbacks. I haven’t moved since 1990, and we have bookcases the way other people have wallpaper.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): around 30. Since I don’t like to make lists, my TBR list is somewhat elastic. Some things I keep track of, and others can wait for years until I’m reminded I did want to read that.

17. Must-have reading accessories: a cat for my lap. If I have time to sit down, I need a feline lap warmer.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: the lake country of England. My whole family wants to go sailing like the kids in the Arthur Ransome books. And I want to see where Wordsworth and Coleridge went walking, of course.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: W.B. Yeats, Anne Tyler, Robert Heinlein

20. Three Book Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future: Memory at Stella Matutina, Care at Care’s Online Book Club, Kristen at BookNAround



Thanks, Jeanne! I love that you scored higher on your exam because you were a voracious reader outside of class! Score! I agree that Austen poking fun of love being sensible is one of my favorite aspects of that novel.

Don't miss out! Check below to see who is appearing next on 20 Questions:

~Carrie of Books and Movies
~Jemima of The Reading Journey
~Deb of Bookmagic
~Heather of Tales of a Capricious Reader


Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail at mycreativeimagination (at) yahoo (dot) com with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me! My husband says we have twice as many books as I guessed. I don't feel too bad, though, because that's the one thing professional movers always grossly underestimate, too.

    Why am I thinking about movers when I haven't moved since 1990? It's like C.S. Lewis says in Shadowlands, "I still haven't recovered" from the last move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can probably already guess my response to this is YAY to #14. :D That's the same book I answered when it was my turn.

    Good to get to know you better, Jeanne. And 3000? That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say I agree with your need for feline lap warmer when you read. It does complete the perfection of the scene, book, comfy chair and cat.
    My husband and I buy so many books, like you, and we try to give away or sell one when we add one.
    Still, the numbers increase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Jeanne did this - it's always interesting to read her thoughts!

    And I honestly have no desire to read The Time Traveler's Wife :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne is all over the place today! I feel bad that I've never read Lord of the Rings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no desire to read The Time Traveler's Wife, either. I'd rather read Ulysses first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading these because it's too fun when something pops out of the interview that you have in common with the other blogger. For instance, I reread Lord of the Rings every year or two as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, finally I "meet" someone else who loves A Door into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski! I'm glad to hear the book is available again. (I actually own two copies so I can lend one out without fear of losing my only copy, which has happened to me in the past.)

    I must admit, though, that I'm also one of those people who loved The Time Traveler's Wife!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that The Time Traveler's Wife was creepy rather than some grand love story... It was great to read Jeanne's responses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Avisannschild, That's so amazing that you love A Door Into Ocean! I do that with books I love, too; get two copies so I always have one to lend. Have you read the rest of what her print-on-demand publisher is now calling "The Elysium Cycle"? You see some of Merwen and Usha's descendents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read The Lord of the Rings, but if it's good enough to re-read, guess I'll have to give it a go at some point. My husband bought the book after seeing the movies, which I never watched.

    3,000 books!?! I wouldn't even want to try to count mine. LOL

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adored "Harriet the Spy." I need to write about that book on my blog some day ... it actually inspired me to take up spying on people.

    And I'm sorry to hear another person disliking "The Time Traveler's Wife." Sniff. I just loved that book but to each her own!

    Glad to see this meme return.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!