December 8, 2009

Year of the Historical: A 2010 Reading Challenge


Lurv a La Mode is hosting the Year of the Historical Reading Challenge.

Check out what she says:
  • You may read any historical fiction book for this challenge: straight historical fiction set in the English Regency, or in Asia, or in Europe, or in Africa, or in Prehistoric times etc. You may read young adult, romances, historical paranormal romances (i.e. Kim Lenox’s Shadow Guard series), historical fantasy – as long as it takes place in a historical time that at least originated with a real historic time period or event (therefore YES, steampunk is an option!) and it is fiction, it is game. Please, no nonfiction, biographies, or the like.
  • Please label your reviews in a way that associates them with this challenge. I’ll be using “YotH: (Book Title)” format for my review headers AND linking the original challenge notice/sign up post in each review so that interested readers can see why/what challenge it’s associated with.
  • I will do a post every month during the last week – this is where you need to link, in the comments section, your monthly review. I will then edit into the body of the post links for everyone’s reviews.
  • There is no limit to how many reviews you can do per month, but I am only requiring one review for a total of 12 books.
  • Have fun!

I love historical fiction and don't feel like I read as much as I wanted to in 2009. My list of books I may want to read is below. I will post links to my reviews for the challenge here.

Want to participate in this challenge, too? Click here!

My Ideas for Books:

1. And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander
2. The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
3. Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
4. The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall
5. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
6. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
7. The Fan Maker's Inquisition by Rikki Duccorant
8. The Impressionist by Hari Kunzru
9. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
10. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
11. The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig
12. Secrets of the Tudor Court: The Pleasure Palace by Kate Emerson
13. Hugh and Bess by Susan Higginbotham
14. The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
15. The Other Queen: A Novel by Philippa Gregory
16. O' Juliet by Robin Maxwell
17. Nefertiti: A Novel by Michelle Moran
18. The Last Queen: A Novel by C.W. Gortner
19. The King's Daughter: A Novel of the First Tudor Queen by Sandra Worth
20. An Inconvenient Wife by Megan Chance

MY REVIEWS
1. The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran (March)
2. Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale by Donna Jo Napoli (March)
3. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (May)
4. Persuasion by Jane Austen (May)
5. Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran (June)
6. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (July)
7. The Secret Life of Josephine by Carolly Erickson (December)

8 comments:

  1. You have a great list of books! I have only read the 2 Gregory books. I, too, love historical fiction but rarely read as much as I'm interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO all over this one! Love the button too!

    Thanks for the heads up Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this might be one for me too. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing this challenge too. You have a great list.....I recommend the Michelle Moran's and The Last Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing this one too but you're a few steps ahead of me...i don't have a clue what books I will be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a lot of fun but I'm not sure I can commit to another challenge, especially when it means another book a month. But maybe...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a great list- good luck with it! I admire you challenge people- I don't have it in me to commit to reading anything! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!