December 3, 2009

Sara Dobie Answers 20 Questions

Welcome back to 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better. Today I would like to present to you Sara of Sara Dobie's Blog. Thanks, Sara!

20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought:
When You Are Engulfed in Flames, by David Sedaris. On the cover, there’s a skeleton smoking a cigarette, and at the time, I was trapped in an airport.

2. Last book you got in the mail: An ARC of Simon & Schuster’s Hush, Hush, by Becca Fitzpatrick, hitting bookshelves nationwide this October.
3. The first book you read over and over: The Stranger, by Albert Camus. I wanted to make sense of the narrator’s crime. But then, I realized it was senseless.
4. Children’s book every child should read: Bunnicula, by James Howe. (I mean, come on, I didn’t develop a dark sense of humor all by myself.)
5. Favorite place to read: Belly-down on my bed. Preferably with cheese and crackers nearby.
6. A book you bought just for the cover: Eat Pray Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert. Another airport purchase. I was jetlag. My flight was cancelled. All I wanted was to eat, but all the restaurants were closed. For the sake of airport security, I was praying for self-control. And so the Lord told me, “LOVE your fellow man.” In hindsight, this book may have saved me from jail time.

7. Scariest book ever read: Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury. Eighth grade. I cried. No kidding. I mean, a world without books? Fire? Carnage? Uh-uh.
No thanks. That’s what nightmares are made of.
8. Most romantic book ever read: Fight Club. Chuck Palahniuk. (It’s a bro-mance, right?)
9. Book that changed your life in some way: Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad. Wow. The classics really ARE worth the time. Plus, Heart of Darkness was my gateway drug to Apocalypse Now. Thanks you, Joseph Conrad. Thank you.
10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: Written on the Body, by Jeannette Winterson. Sad, sad, sad. “Why is the measure of love loss?” Sad, but so true.
11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Wolf. For a college class. I was so bored, I just…couldn’t…(snooooore).
12. Book you needed the dictionary for: Can’t think of one. If I required a dictionary, I probably put it down after a couple pages. I mean, SERIOUSLY? How many big words do you gotta USE? Yes, you’re very smart and important, but how are your book sales?
13. Book you like that no one else seems to: In high school, The Awakening, by Kate Chopin. I loved that book, and the rest of the chicks in my class were like, “Whaaaaat?” Maybe I was tragic at an early age.
14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown. If I could give Dan Brown a karate chop to the head, I would. He’s the literary equivalent of Twitter.
15. Number of books you own (you can guess): I only own about 20 books. I’m a library rat. Plus, the feel of a brand new book scares me. When I take a new book to the beach, I feel like I’m doing something explicit—getting it all sandy and bending the cover backwards. I much prefer a well-worn copy. It’s comforting, because it makes me think people really do still believe in books.
16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): Changes daily, based on personal lapse in memory and conversations with coworkers. Today? Mmm…probably six. Ask me tomorrow, and I’ll have no idea.
17. Must-have reading accessories: Two hands and a brain.
18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: Vegas, circa Hunter S. Thompson and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas .
19. Top Three Favorite Authors: Vladamir Nobokov, Stephen King, and David Sedaris.
20. Three Bloggers You Want to See Featured for 20 Questions in the Future: Terry Pierce (http://www.terrypierce.blogspot.com/), Stephanie Ruble (http://sruble.blogspot.com/), and Cynthea Liu (http://cynthea.livejournal.com/).

(Bio: Sara Dobie is a Public Relations Coordinator in South Carolina . She wrote her first novel in seventh grade, and she once convinced a friend that the spiders in her basement were coming to get her. In other words, Sara was meant for press releases, media spin, and the creation of alternate universes, via fiction writing.)

Check below to see who is appearing next on 20 Questions!

~Jenners of Find Your Next Book Here
~Aarti of BookLust
~Jeanne of Necromancy Never Pays
~Carrie of Books and Movies


Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. Terrific interview! She sounds like someone I'd like to hang out and chat with. :-) I am still laughing over her assessment of The DaVinci Code.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara has some wide-ranging literary interests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like Sara travels a lot. I went to check out her blog and was thrilled to discover another South Carolinian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is probably my favorite highlight so far. I love all of her favorite authors, completely agree on scariest book, and have read The Stranger probably 10 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sara's response to number #17! Someone should make a t-shirt out of that.

    And Bunnicula was the very first book I read on my own, so I definitely echo her recommendation for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was great! Anyone who wants to give Dan Brown a karate chop in the head is alright in my book ... can she kick James Patterson for me too? (Just kidding. kind of. Not really.)

    And I'm a huge Sedaris fan and anyone who thinks "The Fight Club" is a romantic books deserves to be checked out in more depth. I'm heading over now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all these comments! I'm so glad you guys dug my interview. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around the blogosphere....until then, happy holidays! Keep reading, my fellow book addicts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting ready to re-read The Awakening. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Sara's interview!!!! I don't think I realized how many of the same interests we have. I need to check out some of her recommendations!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!