December 15, 2009

Review Smash: White Fang, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, and Life is Like a Line

Review Smash- 3 reviews in 1 post

BOOK: White Fang by Jack London
BOOK #: 87
REASON READ: Colorful Reading Challenge
PUBLISHER: Sterling Publishing Co.
GENRE: Young Adult/Children's Fiction
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/160
RATING: 4.5/5 Stars

Not long ago I read Where the Red Fern Grows for the Colorful Reading Challenge and found myself loving this book I read as a pre-teen all over again. When I began reading White Fang, I felt the same comfort in the familiarity of a wonderful story. Jack London is truly a gifted writer. My first London book was Call of the Wild. I loved that book. White Fang came later, but it is still such an amazing story. The story of a 2/3 wolf and 1/3 dog who suffers animal cruelty at the hands of Beauty Smith. But the best part of the story is how White Fang is able to overcome all of the cruelty he has experienced and come out on the other side to find love and kindness and mutual respect and dignity.

QUOTE: One cannot violate the promptings of one's nature without having that nature recoil upon itself. (pg. 112)


BOOK: Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
BOOK #: 88
REASONS READ: Reading Your Name Challenge, love of all things Austen
PUBLISHER: Penguin Group
GENRE: Historical Fiction
FORMAT: Paperback/288
RATING: 4.5/5 Stars

I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK.

I really did. It was just phenomenal. I love that Courtney had no idea how she became Jane. I love the mystery surrounding the fortune teller and the time travel and the memories of two people and the personalities changing and...it was all so magical and surreal! I have often wondered what it would be like to travel back to nineteenth-century England and be Elizabeth or Emma, but I never thought through how much you need to take into account! No running water, no indoor plumbing, you can't dress in those crazy dresses by yourself. You can't just go flirt with someone if you're single. First you have to make arrangements. And your actions not only make you look bad but could ruin your family name and all of your known friends! No, "oh that's just Amy acting a fool. Whatever." Oh, no. You'd be humiliated beyond belief! I can't wait to read the sequel, Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict. I am trying to hold off until January 1st so I can include it in my challenges! lol

QUOTE: I decide to limit the washing of hair to a once-a-week schedule. As for baths, I manage to negotiate two per week with Barnes, despite her worries that such frequent bathing could be hazardous to my health. When Barnes leaves the room, I shiver, not from damp hair, but because I realize I've just finished creating a schedule for myself in a place where I'm not supposed to be. (pg. 85)


BOOK: Life is Like a Line: A Memoir of Moods, Medication, and Mania by Cynthia M. Sabotka
BOOK #: 89
REASON READ: ARC, I like memoirs
PUBLISHER: Silver Lining
GENRE: Nonfiction, Memoir, Psychology
FORMAT: Hardcover/309
RATING: 3.5 Stars

This memoir is about one woman's genetic inheritance of bipolar disorder, and also her determination to break the cycle. Her story is deeply personal and utterly thorough. While I felt sympathy for her struggles and while I wanted to know how she intended to stop the pattern, the writing in the book was a little thick and wordy to me. I enjoyed her journal entries the best. They seemed to be more to the point and let her personality actually show. The other parts of the book I felt were very reference-like and could have used a good editor. Overall, I think the book is a book worth reading, especially if you or a loved one suffer from bipolar disorder. If you would like to read this book, please e-mail me and I will be happy to send it to you. (E-mail address is on profile page. First come, first serve.)

QUOTE: "Yes, Mom, I know he is every expletive ever created. How about if we do something this week? We can go shopping and have lunch or something. Does that sound good?" I always go to my mother's room before I see my dad. If I don't, she will resent me for going to my father first, and that's another burden to carry. (pg. 113)

8 comments:

  1. I bought White Fang ages ago to read and i am really looking forward to getting into it. It is not too sad at the beginning, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you followed Where the Red Fern Grows with White Fang. I wish you had told me before and I would have bought stock in kleenex! :--)

    I really liked Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict too. I need to get the sequel; I think it would also be very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved White Fang, too. I read that one in high school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll also have a soft spot in my heart for White Fang since it's one of my dad's favorite books and I remember reading it with him when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fond memories of devouring everything by Jack London that I could get my little hands on. :) So glad that you enjoyed this book again - not all books bring as much joy as they did in childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quickie review format ... I so need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, too - I really need to pick up the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict. Also loved White Fang.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!