December 31, 2009

New Year Read-a-thon Commencement



Well I was going to wait until tomorrow to begin the read-a-thon, but since I have zero plans for tonight, I decided I should just ring it in by reading. I mean there are worse ways to ring in 2010 than with a good book, right? There's being with someone you don't like, being in a car accident, prison- just to name a few.

Anyhoo, I am going to start off with the book I started the other night, The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran, which will be released in February. Here is the synopsis:

When Henry Oades accepts an accountancy post in New Zealand, his wife, Margaret, and their children follow him to exotic Wellington. But while Henry is an adventurer, Margaret is not. Their new home is rougher and more rustic than they expected—and a single night of tragedy shatters the family when the native Maori stage an uprising, kidnapping Margaret and her children.
For months, Henry scours the surrounding wilderness, until all hope is lost and his wife and children are presumed dead. Grief-stricken, he books passage to California. There he marries Nancy Foreland, a young widow with a new baby, and it seems they’ve both found happiness in the midst of their mourning—until Henry’s first wife and children show up, alive and having finally escaped captivity.
Narrated primarily by the two wives, and based on a real-life legal case, The Wives of Henry Oades is the riveting story of what happens when Henry, Margaret, and Nancy face persecution for bigamy. Exploring the intricacies of marriage, the construction of family, the changing world of the late 1800s, and the strength of two remarkable women, Johanna Moran turns this unusual family’s story into an unforgettable page-turning drama.

So far I feel like the writing is kind of modern for a historical novel but we will see how it goes. I am just at the part where the first wife, Margaret, and the children have been kidnapped and everyone but Henry has given up on them.

So, New Year's Read-a-thon....Commence!!

17 comments:

  1. Have fun! I have a lot of work on my plate right now, so I'm not doing this. But I'll look forward to seeing how it goes for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds cool! I hope you enjoy it.

    No plans for New Year's Eve? Yet again I am bumming we don't live near each other. We could totally rock out NYE and still not go to prison. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really interesting story. I've completed one short novel and am just going to start Moby Dick, though not all of it tonight! My post for the New Year's Challenges is up. Don't get too tired Rebecca, but have fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do know there's a football game on, don't you? LOL Have fun with the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Reading!!! Your book sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great plan to me - enjoy! I've got that book on my list for March - hope it is a good one. :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what I'm planning on doing. My fiance has to work so I'm staying in with the cat and reading! We'll toast with coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish I could be at home reading tonight! Have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your readathon...seems like a wonderful way to end one year and begin another!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm home reading to hon! I have that book on my TBR shelf as well just haven't gotten to read it yet. :) Happy Reading and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally into staying home for NYE but wanted to tell you that if you have plans for next year...I have bail money ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only finished ONE book this whole two weeks off. I'm such a slacker! My readathon is going to be seeing if I can finish one more book. Maybe I'll get two uninterrupted hours of reading? Hopefully!

    Have fun with your reading this weekend.
    and Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was totally planning on doing this but here I sit on the computer with football on. What to do, what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with the reading.

    Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for commencing! I finally got the opportunity to start reading today myself. I'm about halfway through Liar and am enjoying it enough that I'm going to attempt to finish it up tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to start off 2010! I'm so proud of myself... I already read 1 book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so behind in my blog reading that I don't know if you finished and reviewed this one or not but I hope so since I just snagged a copy of this from a publishing friend. I'll read onward and find out. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!