December 10, 2009

Jenners of Find Your Next Book Here Answers 20 Questions!

Welcome back to 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better. Today I would like to present to you one of my favorite bloggy friends, Jenners of Find Your Next Book Here! If you haven't read Jenners' blog or talked to her you are totally missing out. Thanks for being here, Jen!




20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought:

With or without my husband's knowledge?

Without my husband's knowledge, I secretly rejoined Quality Paperback Book Club (QPBC) (for like the 10th time in my life) because they had an offer I just couldn't refuse—4 books for $1 each plus one more for $4.99. And because some of the books were on my wish list, I caved. Guess what I got for under $10 (plus shipping and handling—that's how they "get you")? The Help by Kathryn Stockett, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Can you blame me?

With my husband's knowledge, I bought Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger for my Kindle.

2. Last book you got in the mail:

The Xibalba Murders by Lyn Hamilton, which is my X book for the A to Z Challenge. I got it from Paperback Swap after seeing it on Beth Fish Reads (http://bfishreads.blogspot.com/). I really needed an X book!

3. The first book you read over and over:

I'm sure there were some before this but the first one I remember clearly reading over and over again was The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf. I was just in love with the story and the pictures.

4. Children’s book every child should read:

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I think everything you need to know about how to be a good person is embodied in this simple yet touching story.

5. Favorite place to read:

Anywhere my son will let me! I do like reading on the couch in the living room (lying down), but I'm just as happy reading in my reading chair or in bed or outside on the deck in my hammock chair.

6. A book you bought just for the cover:

I do this all the time actually. Most recently, I bought I'm Down by Mishna Wolff for my own Take A Chance Challenge. One of the challenges asks participants find a book to read based solely on the cover. I still have to write my post on it but here is the cover.



7. Scariest book ever read:

For non-fiction, The Hot Zone by Richard Preston, which chronicles a very close call with a possible outbreak of the Ebola Virus in the United States. The Ebola Virus is horrifyingly scary, and the book is as terrifying as any book by Stephen King and as fast-paced as any thriller.

For fiction, I'm still haunted by various short stories by Mr. Stephen King (who is also responsible for my fear of clowns since I read It) and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (you'll never think about dollhouses the same way again).

8. Most romantic book ever read:

I'm going to go with The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I thought she did a fantastic job of conveying a passionate, romantic love affair wrapped up in a top-notch time travel tale. I was sobbing at the end.

9. Book that changed your life in some way:

For some reason, I'm drew such a blank on this before remembering What Not To Wear by Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine. This book provides real-life examples of what type of clothes to get for YOUR body type, and it was invaluable for helping me to pick clothes that are better suited to my body (big boobs, short legs, large butt). I know I sound like a freak but I don't look like one thanks to the advice in this book!

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times:

Gig: Americans Talk About Their Jobs. The title pretty much says it all. I reread it every few years or so because I think it is so interesting. Plus it is long enough that you couldn't possibly remember all the stories so it is kind of like reading it for the first time.

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for:

I'm not a big fan of Cliff's Notes, but I clearly remembering buying one for Plato's The Republic during college. I simply could not stay awake while reading that book. Within 5 minutes (no matter how rested I was), that book would put me to sleep. I resorted to Cliff's Notes in order to understand what happened in the book so I could pass the class I read it for. I should probably get a copy to cure any future insomnia.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for:

Definitely The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It amazed me how the writing seemed so simple, sparse and straightforward but every few pages that were words that I'd never run across before ever. The guy must have a huge vocabulary. Great (if depressing) read!

13. Book you like that no one else seems to:

If this was a movie, I could totally answer this in two seconds: Tin Cup. I loooooved that movie, and yet I've never met anyone else who really liked it. But as far as a book, I'm totally drawing a blank. Perhaps the novelization of Tin Cup (if there is one)?

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love:

Well, I recently wrote a scathing review of Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer but when I posted it on Amazon, I saw that there were 174 reviews posted and 140 of those reviewers gave the book 5 stars. I gave it 2.

15. Number of books you own (you can guess):

Now if you had said "have owned," that would be a totally different answer! My husband (a non-reader) didn't understand why I needed to keep all my copies of books I've enjoyed when I wasn't necessarily going to reread them for awhile. They were taking up a lot of space so I was forced to pare down dramatically. I have about 125 books in the house right now—with about 94 of them being ones I plan on reading and the rest ones I refused to part with in the Big Book Purge of 2002.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet):

I have wishlists all over the place so I'm not really sure. At Paperback Swap alone, I know I have at least 125 (but some are dupes). I also books listed in an Excel spreadsheet, some listed at LibraryThing, a draft post in my blog, and a running list in my head. I really need to get this in order and have one list in one place.

17. Must-have reading accessories:

Aside from my eyeglasses and good light? Probably a comfy pillow with just the right amount of support (I prefer to read lying down).

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to:

I would love to visit the Avonlea described in Anne of Green Gables, but I wouldn't mind enrolling in Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry for a semester or two.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors:

This is so hard to answer, but I'm choosing three authors who've written multiple books and I've read and liked all of them: Bill Bryson, A.J. Jacobs, and Jon Krakauer. (It is interesting to me that all three are men and write non-fiction books!)

20. Three Book Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future:

Well, I hope you'll answer your own questions, Rebecca! And so many of the bloggers I enjoy have already answered the questions, but I'd love to see Molly's answers from My Cozy Book Nook (http://mycozybooknook.blogspot.com/) and Natalie from Book, Line and Sinker (http://booklineandsinker.com/).



Check below to see who is appearing next on 20 Questions!

~Aarti of BookLust
~Jeanne of Necromancy Never Pays
~Carrie of Books and Movies


Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

15 comments:

  1. Loved getting to know you better Jenners! Sorry about the Big Book Purge. :/

    You have some great interviews coming up, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great! Jenners is so much fun - I would love to meet her in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how many of us have secret book buying lives we keep from our spouses! I'm off to check on QPBC as we speak....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok - well now I know why I like Jenners so much. Not only is she incredibly funny (I chuckle every time I see that picture of her thumb's up), but we have nearly identical taste in literary things. GREAT interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I've been a member of QPBC for like forever! Pre-internet, too... it was in my college days when I joined...so it was a very, very long time ago.

    It's been fun reading this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wahooo Jenners!! One of our all time fav's! Great answers woman. Right there with you about enrolling at Hogwarts

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are hilarious!! Love your sense of humor and book choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is GREAT. I love Jenners and her blog and her likeability certainly shows through in your interview with her. Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *LOL* love the BIG HAIR on that book cover. And I loved your comments about the last books you bought. I guess we all have marital secrets, eh? Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there a way to infect your husband with the book bug? Leave around books you think he might like?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How funny! I have done the same book club joining without telling husband!

    And I feel the same way about Tin Cup. Great movie. But no, it was never a novel. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The answer to the first question totally cracked me up! My boyfriend doesn't even flinch when he sees a new book. However, I'm still smuggling the new shoes into the house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenners is great fun! Although I was biting my nails in horror on hearing of the Great Purge of books. I must have well over 500 books in the house... and counting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I know I sound like a freak but I don't look like one thanks to the advice in this book!" LOL You should TOTALLY get that blurbed on the cover of that book. That's awesome.

    I like Tin Cup! Who doesn't like Tin Cup? *frowny face*

    And Rebecca really does need to answer her own questions. Hmmm, not a bad idea, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for having me Rebecca! This is always such a fun meme to read and I loved being a part of it! I love that I found some poeple who also like Tin Cup! Woo hoo! I'm not alone anymore! And I love not being the only QPBCer! Seriously, you have to try them out book lovers! I keep going back for more!!!

    Thanks to everyone who commented!!! I had such fun reading them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!