December 24, 2009

Happy Holidays!


Wow, it is Christmas Eve already? How did this happen? Thankfully, UPS came through for me yesterday and brought my presents for my family. I have them wrapped and under the tree. Woohoo! I was worried there for a while they wouldn't arrive in time. Whew!

This year is a mixed blessing Christmas for me. On one hand, I am more excited about Christmas than I have been in literally years. I have been into wrapping presents (I usually throw them in a bag and I'm done with it), making Christmas goodies (and eating them, don't forget), and watching Christmas shows (a few, but better than years prior.)

So, I am grateful for that. But this year also marks the first without my father. He always made Christmas this amazing, almost magical day. He would always have a 2-part present for someone and then forget which part you were supposed to open first, lol. And he would always have the camera ready for recording our gasps of delight at what we received from our loved ones.

Last year he was very sick and it took us all day to finish opening presents because he had to keep going back to bed to rest. This year, we have made the house festive again, we have designated the top shelf of the bookshelf as our sort of shrine to him, complete with photos, poems, and Santa Claus that look like him (he was a big guy and his beard was growing to be all white, though not as long.) We have him in spirit, but I know the next 2 days will be one of mixed emotions as we celebrate the life he had and mourn the fact he is not here with us.

We do now have a new member of our family, as my sister was married in October in India, if you recall. K will be with us this Christmas and he will be acting as new videographer and his presence I am sure will help us keep out of a funk. Plus, I have John to help me through and he is the biggest blessing of all. I don't know what I would do without him!

I have decided not to blog too much during the holidays, since so many are out of town or just plain busy with family and festivities and I don't want you to come back to Readers filled to the brim! I am, however, working on several posts:

  • Book Review of A Woman of Independent Means by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey (Hint: I LOVED it.)
  • 2009 Reading Wrap-Up Post, done in my usual super-organized style. (Really, you should know this is the only area of my life that is organized at all!)
  • Brand new Take Me Away Saturday posts.
  • The to-be-published-in-2010 books that I am looking forward to.
  • And...a couple of surprises. :)

I want to wish each of you the absolute happiest holiday season. May your season be filled with family, friends, fun, and a couple of hours to just relax and read. :) And don't forget to tell me all about the new books you get! Haha!

29 comments:

  1. have a very Merry Christmas, Rebecca. I'm so sorry for your loss but I hope that Christmas will be wonderful for you and your family. *hugs*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read A Woman of Independent Means years ago and I loved it too.

    I'm sure this Christmas will be bittersweet for you and your family. I am confident that your dad will be with you in spirit.

    I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Rebecca, and hugs to you during a very bittersweet time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shrine sounds so nice - it will keep him right there with you to share all the moments.

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays! Enjoy the season with your family and the memories of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tribute to your dad -- and a great reminder that he's still with you in many, many ways. I know this milestone is going to be hard. I am still missing my mom and my parents-in-law, especially at this time of year, and they have been gone for years.

    I read A Woman of Independent Means right after college (think: around the time Bush was elected. The DAD, not the son) I love, LOVED it, and I read it several times. I can't wait to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a Merry Christmas, Rebecca. I bet your father is so pleased to see the Christmas spirit in your life despite your dad not being able to be here--at least in physical form.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the top bookshelf shrine for your father is a lovely idea and help you feel his spirit there during the Christmas festivities.

    I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas, and I look forward to reading all those upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and know that your dad is with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a Merry Christmas! And a happy new year of reading and blogging!

    Thanks for following Rose City Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas! *Hugs* Hope you receive great new books. Enjoy the little one's first Christmas and remember - your dad will be there with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry for your loss, Rebecca, and as others have said, I'm sure your father will be with you in spirit. I love the bookshelf shrine idea. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the spirits of loved ones are especially close this time of year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a very Merry Christmas, Rebecca! Your joy and your memories this season are the greatest tribute you could give your father. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas filled with new memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas filled with new memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rebecca...sorry Christmas will be different without you Dad. I'm in a bit of a funk too as my brother passed away on Nov. 13th.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just popping in to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rebecca, it is such a joy to know you over the last year. I appreciate you very much. You are a very special woman and a true gift to us all!
    Merry Christmas, Rebecca!
    Have the best day ever!
    Love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and yours this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry Christmas, Rebecca! I know it will be tough, but I hope it's better than you think it will be.

    And this is the only part of your life that's organized? I find that very difficult to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Merry Christmas Rebecca. thank you for sharing your memories...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. This was the 10th without my father, and while it gets a bit easier, it's still not the same. But it's all about making new memories. ((HUGS))

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your dad will still be with you in your hearts and minds. But my FIL died just after Christmas many years ago and that first Christmas was tough. We did spend a lot of time talking about him and that made it feel more like he was still with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you had a great holiday planned. I hope you enjoyed your time with your family and all was as festive as you had hoped it would be :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sweetie,
    Just wanted to leave you a comment on your post and I know that this will be a hard Christmas but I love the idea of the shelf you have with mementos of your Dad...many hugs and much love coming your way during this holiday season!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was thinking of you. I'm glad you had a new family member to help create some new memories ... it helps sometimes I think to change things up a little. But your dad will always be there in spirit. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you had a wonderful holiday together with your family, and that you found a way to remember your Dad in a positive way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!