December 17, 2009

Aarti of BookLust Answers 20 Questions!

Welcome back to 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better.

Today I would like to present to you Aarti of the awesome blog, B O O K L U S T! Thank you so much, Aarti, for sharing with us today!




20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought:
Actually, the last book I bought was a complete impulse buy. I usually do research and go armed with a list to a used bookstore, but this time I had some time to kill and so was browsing the fantasy section at Barnes & Noble. The Court of the Air, by Stephen Hunt caught my eye, I succumbed to temptation and I bought it.

2. Last book you got in the mail:
I just received an ARC of Lady Vernon and Her Daughter, by Jane Rubino, today. It's based on a novella by Jane Austen.

3. The first book you read over and over:
I don't know, really. I think it was probably Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles. But I also spent a lot of time going over favorite parts of the Anne of Green Gables series when I was younger.

4. Children’s book every child should read:
I seem to be saying this a lot lately, but definitely Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth. Fantastic. I should reread that soon, considering how much I've been touting it.

5. Favorite place to read:
In the summer, I enjoy reading out on the patio in one of those nylon chairs with the foot rest and beverage holder. In the winter, I like to cozy up on the couch with a blanket. Growing up, I liked to lay down on my bedroom floor with my feet in the heating vent. Weird. I know.

6. A book you bought just for the cover:
I don't think I really ever buy books based solely on the cover. I usually at least like to know what they're about first. But one book I own and haven't read yet but just find beautiful is City of Laughter. I waxed lyrical about it on my blog here.

7. Scariest book ever read:
I do NOT read scary books. Seriously. I have major issues. It's embarrassing. I do remember Roald Dahl's The Witches completely freaking me out when I was younger.

8. Most romantic book ever read:
I LOVE Persuasion, by Jane Austen. It is, in my opinion, her most romantic and wonderful novel and I wish more people would read it and enjoy it. I love her other novels, too, but Persuasion is beautiful. Here's a quote- how can you not find it romantic after reading this?!

"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight and a half years ago. Dare not say that a man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant."

9. Book that changed your life in some way:
A great many books have changed my life in different ways. The Count of Monte Cristo I read and was left breathless by the intricacy of the plotting. All Quiet on the Western Front made me realize that there were no "good guys" and "bad guys" in war. Nothing is black and white. And many other books I've read and been moved by. That's what makes reading so wonderful.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times:
I don't reread books that often, but the author I consistently return to, either to pick up another book by her or to reread a favorite, is Georgette Heyer.

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for:
Lord of the Flies, by William Golding. Way. Over. My. Head.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for:
Hmm, I tend to just plow through and ignore words I don't understand as though they are unimportant ;-)

13. Book you like that no one else seems to:
Oh, I'm not sure. I really liked The Meaning of Night, by Michael Cox and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, by Susannah Clarke, but those seem to only appeal to a certain demographic.

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love:
There are quite a few! I would say Stephenie Meyer's Twilight, but quite a few people dislike that one. I didn't like Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian, either.

15. Number of books you own (you can guess):
Probably around 600.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet):
Oh, goodness. Can I say pretty much any fantasy novel or book set in 18th or 19th century England?

17. Must-have reading accessories:
Bookmark- any kind will do.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to:
I love to travel anywhere! I think eastern Europe would be on my list, though- Prague and Istanbul, definitely. But seriously. Anywhere.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors:
I love authors for different reasons. The ones that I read the most often aren't necessarily the ones that I am most impressed by, literary talent-wise. Three that have permanent placement on my shelves are Neil Gaiman, Georgette Heyer and Diana Wynne Jones.

20. Three Book Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future:
I have enjoyed all the featured bloggers!

Thanks so much, Aarti! The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books and I did not understand the big deal about Lord of the Flies. I hated that book! And thank you for saying you have enjoyed reading all of the featured bloggers! That is a great compliment to extend!

Check below to see who is appearing on 20 Questions through the end of 2009:

~Jeanne of Necromancy Never Pays
~Carrie of Books and Movies


Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

21 comments:

  1. You know, I have never read The Phantom Tollbooth. I probably should one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Aarti - I don't like scary books either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote from Persuasion! I think I'm going to rent the movie because that sounds like a good swoonable type moment! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Q & A! Aarti is rock-on awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda- I almost fell off my chair when I read your comment. Really? Never? It is my first for the Flashback Challenge.

    Bermudaonion- Glad I'm not alone!

    Rhapsody- Ooh, get the most recent BBC/Masterpiece adaptation. Uh-mazing! Also on my reread for Flashback list.

    J. Kaye- Aww :-) You're awesome, too! SO looking forward to your blog changes in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aarti, Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel too. :) Great 20 questions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Aarti :)
    I came on over to check out your answers, oh I loved the Clarke book too! But I can't agree on Kostova cos she rocked ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep I agree with the Phantom Tollbooth. I own the Historian but haven't gotten around to it yet. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Aarti and Rebecca.
    Golding's 'Lord of the Flies' is by far the most upsetting book ever written, little boys conducting themselves like savages, so terrifying. Though without it I would never have met high school boyfriend, he loved it and helped me write a comparative essay that blew my teacher's mind. Oh what a strange thing memory is.
    This was great fun.
    Warmest regards,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy- Clearly, you are a woman of exceptional taste ;-)

    Blodeuedd- I'm glad you like the Clarke book, but I totally understand on Kostova. I know I'm in a minority there.

    Luanne- Yay for another Phantom Tollbooth fan!

    Simone- Life does work in mysterious ways, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a lot in common! I was mad about Anne of Green Gables, too, and I didn't care for either Twilight or The Historian. Lord of the Flies? It's been fodder for tens of thousands of required high school English essays, but I ever understood what was so wonderful about it. I LOVED your Jane Austen quote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, I like The Phantom Tollbooth too, since I read it to my oldest several years ago. I used to have a quote from the book on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for Phantom Tollbooth!
    Love love love the answer to #12 -- "Hmm, I tend to just plow through and ignore words I don't understand as though they are unimportant ;-)" That is me too ... though I was too chicken to admit it publicly!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prague sounds like fun, and I've never been. Can I tag along? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laughing Stars- We DO have a lot in common. Let's become besties.

    Jenners- Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one overly worried about vocabulary. It's all about context clues, anyway, right?!

    Softdrink- Of course you can! Let's leave tomorrow.

    Rebecca- I can't believe I didn't say this at the beginning, but thanks SO much for having me for this fabulous questions series :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read The Phantom Tollbooth. That's the one where the kid gets stuck in the dolldrums, isn't it? That terrified me as a kid.

    The Count of Monte Cristo is probably one of my favorite books, too. I had to read it in high school, and it was really fun. But everyone in the class, except for the one person who reading the Cliff's Notes, missed a critical part of the plot and was totally confused at the end. Maybe that page was missing from all of our copies or something? Anyway, it was really odd.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aarti - I've just recently started following your blog and I'm enjoying it a lot.

    We have the Phantom Tollbooth in our school library, and some of the other books in the series.

    Aarti and Rebecca - I read the Count of Monte Cristo when I was a child, (9 years old). I loved it, the revenge - great. Now that I think back on it, I must have had a child's version of the book, because I remember it being a pretty easy book to read at the time - and if they use it in high school the full version must not be that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, I'm off to find out who Georgette Heyer is now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't really like scary books either, so you aren't alone. I also loved The Phantom Tollbooth and passed it along to my kids :) And Lord of the Flies was seriously depressing, you didn't miss very much there! Great post Aarti, very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just watched the BBC version of Persuasion and really liked it. The book is on my list for 2010. I don't get all the hype about Twilight either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have totally forgotten about The Phantom Tollbooth. I think I have a copy of it somewhere. I've got to find it and possibly re-read it again. It was so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!