December 29, 2009

100 Mile Fitness Challenge

At first I was totally excited about this challenge. Then I got bummed because partial miles don't count, but then Amanda pointed out that 15 minutes of exercise counts as a mile. That's more like it. With fibromyalgia I cannot risk pushing myself too hard like I could b4 I got it. With fibro that just puts me in the bed for 3 days. I may not make it to 100 miles, but I will have fun participating with everyone! And the best part is, while I work out on my new Wii Fit Plus (my mother totally rocks giving this to me for Christmas, right? So right.), it will keep track of my mileage and minutes, too. Sweet. So here we go!

Here’s how it works:
In order to complete this Challenge, you will need to “travel” 100 miles from January 1st through March 31st.

Here's how you calculate your mileage:
*Running or walking 1 mile outside or on a treadmill equals 1 mile.

*15 minutes of other workouts equals 1 mile (elliptical, swimming, weight lifting, workout video, workout classes, etc.).

A few "workout" stipulations:
“Workouts” only include activities specifically done for the purpose of exercise. Shopping, house cleaning, walking to and from the parking lot, and other day to day activities should not be included.

Partial miles travelled on different days cannot be combined. For example, if you run 1.25 miles on one day, and .75 mile on another day, that does not equal 2 miles. It counts as 1 mile.

Minutes accumulated on two different days cannot be combined. For example, if you workout 10 minutes one day and 5 minutes the next day, that does not combine to equal a mile.

1 mile on the bike or elliptical does not equal 1 mile, etc. Only walking/running is mile for mile.

Hey Trish!
How do I report my miles to you? On Fridays I will put up a Progress Report. Once you report, then I will put your name in the sidebar and update your miles for you each time you report. Ultimately it is your responsibility to keep track of your total mileage. (I like the putting stickers on a grid method...)


Hey Trish!
Why can't partial miles or minutes be counted? Well, among other [maybe better] reasons, when rules start bending then there's no stopping them from breaking. You'll thank me in the end. :)



Click here to sign up and to see who else is participating in the challenge!

11 comments:

  1. Excited that we will all be able to do this together and keep motivated! I'm excited for the New Year's to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're signing up after all. Even if you don't hit 100, you'll still hit more than if you dont' sign up, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prongs- Me too!

    Amanda- Thanks! It's true that having you girls to help motivate me will be a big help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh. I'm avoiding reading challenges but I think I need to do this challenge! Heading over there to check it out right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should really try a version of this. I just found out that I have degenerative arthritis, so I have to start losing weight and stay flexible - for the rest of my life. Yeah, fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the hell ... I should do this. It can't hurt and anything I can do to make myself exercise is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really should do this one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm super excited that we're both going to be attempting this challenge. Like you, I'm not sure I'll make the 100 miles but really anything over NO miles is a good thing right?

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you're joining! I just finished Round 1 today and am getting ready to sign up for Round 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much for joining, Rebecca! 100 miles does sound like a lot, but it isn't undoable. And I'll give you a little secret about partial miles (shhh!): If I'm on the treadmill or walking and just can't finish that mile, I'll do another exercise to make up the difference. So, for example, if a mile = 15 minutes and I do a half a mile on the treadmill, I'll do 8 more minutes of exercise to get my full mile. It may be cheating a bit but I'm the rulemaker, right?? :D

    Anyway, if you have any other questions/concerns, let me know.

    Best,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!