November 9, 2009

Bookish Discoveries 11-9-09


1. Chick lit offers fully rounded heroines for fully rounded women- but really, why is it only for fully rounded readers? I think every woman can appreciate diverse heroines. Why not senior-citizen heroines? Or pregnant heroines? Or mixed-race heroines? I am all for a more diverse world of female protagonists!

2. Click here for your chance to win a collection of 100 postcards from Penguin Group, each featuring a classic book cover!


3. NY Times has an article on Andy Hunter and Scott Lindenbaum, the founders of Electric Literature, which serves up their mag in a variety of formats.

4. Noir is giving crime comics a second chance.

5. Author Sapphire tells NPR's All Things Considered how 'Push' Became 'Precious'

6. A must-read for me, what about you:

"President Barack Obama's half brother has broken his media silence to discuss his new novel -- the semi-autobiographical story of an abusive parent patterned on their late father, the mostly absent figure Obama wrote about in his own memoir. In his first interview, Mark Ndesandjo told The Associated Press that he wrote "Nairobi to Shenzhen" in part to raise awareness of domestic violence." -Read more at Salon.com

8 comments:

  1. Love the first link, and I agree with your comment. In fact, yesterday I tried to count all the times OK Magazine equated "thin" with "sexy" and pretty soon I realized I needed to write it down because it was getting too much! (not that I would ever read OK Magazine, mind you.....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list of links to explore. I missed the news about Obama's brother's book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't aware of Obama's brother having a book out. I'll have to check that out. I read Dreams of my Father and really enjoyed it. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea that crime comics featuring noir are making a comeback is exciting. I know that many of the crime comics have continued and even begun again, but reintroducing crime noir into comic form is exciting. The radio shows featuring crime noir are great so this media format should be equally exciting.

    Thanks for bringing this to our attention since comics are not always in the forefront of our thinking and reading. I know that I appreciate it very much.

    bstilwell12 at comcast net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great links. I really want to see Precious. I read PUSH about 10 years ago and was blown away by it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Push sounds like a book that I need to read for sure. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally entering that contest for Penguin postcards. :)

    And I agree with you--there is definitely room for diverse heroines. I don't think what a character looks like matters so much as making sure she's sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely, we need more diverse main characters, in whatever genre of books. Urban fantasy, chicklit, mystery...yes. Too bad the major publishing houses don't agree with this. And too bad that the independent publishers can't get the big stores to carry their books....oh no, now my blood pressure is rising! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!