November 20, 2009

Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

BOOK #: 77
REASONS READ: Colorful Challenge, Clear Your Shelves Challenge, Countdown Challenge, for a good laugh
PUBLISHER: New American Library, Penguin Group
GENRE: Nonfiction, Memoir, Humor
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback, 398
RATING: 4.5 Stars

BOOK SUMMARY: "This is the story of how a haughty former sorority girl went from having a household income of almost a quarter million dollars to being evicted from a ghetto apartment...The b**** had it coming.


MY FEELINGS: In short? This book cracked me up.

I love Jenners for sending this to me. She knew just the remedy for what ailed me. Jen Lancaster's sarcastic take on life had me doubled over laughing. This book was far better than Confessions of a Shopaholic, which I thought it would be like (and which book I hated.) Unlike Rebecca in Confessions, Jen and I had things in common. I could relate to her. She was like a friend I never knew I had. I think if Jen and I met, I'd love her instantly. I am already looking to get my hands on her next 3 books!

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS BOOK:
  • I could relate to the main character. Even though parts of Jen were a turn-off (aka her holier-than-thou attitude at the beginning), she really is down-to-earth about her relationship and she has good morals. She is dearly in love with Fletch and even stands by him when the going gets really, really tough. I love that.
  • Like I said, the book was hysterical.
  • I liked the stream-of-consciousness writing for this particular book. It works because it is how Jen thinks, and, coincidentally, how I think. The reader is taken through Jen's thought processes and into her core. Although I don't always care for this writing style, it was perfect for this book.
WHAT I DID NOT LIKE AS MUCH:
  • It ended. What's up with that?
  • I did not have the second book to immediately pick up and devour.
IF IT MATTERS TO YOU:
  • There is sometimes strong language in the book.
OTHER REVIEWS AND OPINIONS:
If you have read and reviewed this book, leave me a comment or send me an e-mail and I will include your review here.

14 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of hers. I hosted a book signing with her during my bookstore manager days and she is HYSTERICAL in person and very very nice, down to earth, like you said.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a good read! I am overdue for a good laugh. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, I loved this one too! I read like a madwoman in order to finish, simultaneously delighting in Jen's fall from grace (because, I mean, she was pretty rude!) but cheering when things finally began to work out for her. And as a blogger, of course, there's plenty to love there, too! :) I picked up Such A Pretty Fat and will definitely be getting her other books, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got to read some of Jen Lancaster's work - everyone seems to love her humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love how you set up your reviews! Love it! Glad you enjoyed the book - I loved the second more the first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review, Rebecca :) This sounds like just the ticket for an over-stressed life! LOL

    I wanted to come by and thank you for the shopping e-mail :)) so sweet! And I want to wish you a Super Happy Thanksgiving! I'm taking time off for vacation and I want to be sure to send you my love and best wishes before I leave!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Rebecca!
    xxO
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should go buy this book, I need some laughs. Are there others in the series already published?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this one and have most of her other books. Now I just need to find the time to read them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally enjoyed this book as well. I have her follow-up books but they are still on my TBR pile

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the names of Lancaster's book but have never actually picked one up. Think I should start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I am sold, I'm going to read this. I love sarcastic books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still haven't read her! I know I should; especially after reading your review! I'll be keeping it in mind for when I need something to crack me up, too. I love sarcastic and funny tones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you liked it ... and guess what, I got "Bright Lights, Big Ass" and I plan on reading it soon and you can have it when I'm done! Consider it a holiday present from me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!