October 24, 2009

October Read-a-thon


Hey, friends! I am awake and ready to begin reading!

I am also not going to be participating for 24 hours straight. I am going to probably do about 12-14 hours today and then probably a little tomorrow. I will be checking in with mini-challenges and such today, too.


For now I am leaving you with the Hour 1 meme:

Where are you reading from today? I am starting off with Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

3 facts about me … I am a slow reader but an enthusiastic one. I just broke up with my boyfriend so this read-a-thon is a good distraction. My 12-year-old cat, Kali, is being my cozy cheerleader.

How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours? I don't have a pile. I am choosing completely randomly from all of my books.

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)? Yes, I want to actually complete some books this time. Last time I read tons of pages but never completed a book because I was all over the place. This time I hope to be a little more focused.

If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, Any advice for people doing this for the first time? This is only my second read-a-thon but this is what I learned from my first read-a-thon: I am A.D.D. so I had too many books last time in my pile and I was completely unfocused so I kept bouncing around from book to book even more than usual. This time I don't have a pile so I can pick randomly something that catches my attention and mood, which will help some with the focus. Also, I am starting with an action-packed and short first book to give me a sense of accomplishment right away. I am also reading for less time. If I set a goal of 24 hours and don't make it I will feel disappointed. But if I set a goal of 12 hours which I know I can do then I will be able to reach my goal. And if I read more than 12 hours, it will be a bonus! That is my plan.

Okay, off to read!

32 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals! Hope you have fun reading. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think James Patterson is a great person to start with- seems like he'd keep your attention :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traditional read-a-thon blessing:

    May the bookshelf be there to greet you.
    May all the books appeal.
    May the fridge be full of tasty snacks;
    the words fall soft upon your eyes and until the read-a-thon ends,
    may you always hold a book in the palm of your hand.

    Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll do great - just take breaks when you need t hem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read myself a James Patterson. Also sounds like me bouncing from book to book. I hope your having fun and keep up the good work today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a slow reader too but I am just going to try my best. I think that choosing Patterson for your first read was excellent because his books are interesting, entertaining and quick reads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on waking up early! Let us know how you are doing with updates! Happy reading!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have fun with the read-a-thon, Rebecca! I'm sorry about the break-up. Hopefully losing yourself in a book or several today will help. Aren't cats great?

    Good luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a slow reader too! I started with a graphic novel in the hopes that I'd feel an early burst of accomplishment by finishing a book. I'm 1/4 of the way through the second book I grabbed so I'm trucking along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun reading..Your random picks is also a great idea.I started with 2 graphic novels and then moved on to ya books ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck, Rebecca! I'm enjoying watching everyone kick this off this morning even though I'm not officially participating. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great read-a-thon. Patterson should be a fast, fun read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll do a great job, Rebecca! Happy reading and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Read-a-Thon day! Can you believe we're already a quarter done? Have fun today and enjoy the wonderful books you have lined up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're over a quarter of the way through-I hope you're still enjoying yourself! Keep it up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a good goal, and anything over the 12 hours will be a bonus!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. just keep reading,
    just keep reading,
    just keep reading reading reading,
    what do we do we read read,

    Oh ho ho ho i love to read
    when you want to read, you want to read.

    (Sung to the tune of Dory's Just Keep Swimming from Finding Nemo)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck. James Patterson is a good start.
    Sorry about the break up though. :(

    Have fun. I look forward to reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are doing great. I got a little thrown off schedule this am, but I’m back on track now. Keep up the good work!

    I will surely need a nap a bit later unless, I walk around the house constantly until I fall over from exhaustion...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope everything is going well still. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  21. Random picks sounds like a great idea. I hope you've been enjoying your reading and your furry cheerleader is being supportive. :-)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm popping by again to offer some more cheering! Give me an R! Give me an E! Give me an A! Give me a D! What does that spell?! Read! Read! Read!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way to hang in there! Halfway through - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have fun! I loved Along Came a Spider!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you're having a great time reading!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm slow compared to a lot of the other readers, but am having fun. I hope you're having fun with the readathon, too, and glad you have good company (your cat)!

    ReplyDelete
  27. happy reading! Hope you're still enjoying all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope everything is going well..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope you had fun reading in the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!