October 12, 2009

Mailbox Monday

All I have to say of this mailbox is, why?

I have collected several books the past few weeks. I got some in London, got some in the mail, and I got some at my fave local used book store on Saturday. Yay for new books!

First, the books that arrived via my mailbox:

From Stephanie of Stephanie's Written Word I received

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict and Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict, both by Laurie Viera Rigler

Yay for winning giveaways! Thanks, Stephanie!

From Westwind Communications I received:

Letters to Rosy by C. Ellene Bartlett
A story told in epistolary style using the exchange of letters between two elderly lady friends to uncover a compelling story of romance, mystery, crime and adventure and concluding with a surprise ending no reader would ever figure out in advance. It is a gripping novel of twists and turns leaving the reader in suspense about the many events surrounding its characters- the disappearance of Sasha, the insanity of Marsha, Ken's destructive nature, and Mendy's abduction and rape while husband Trevor is having an affair with a red-headed beauty.

From FSB Associates I received:

Searching for Whitopia: An Improbable Journey to the Heart of White America by Rich Benjamin
A prediction that made headlines across the United States ten years ago is fast becoming reality: By 2050, whites will no longer be the American majority. A related, less-reported trend is that as immigrant populations--largely people of color--increase in cities and suburbs, more and more whites are moving to small cities and exurban areas that are predominantly, even extremely, white. Journalist Rich Benjamin calls these enclaves "Whitopias." To learn what makes them tick and why and how they are growing, Benjamin--a black American--packed his bags and lived for several months in three such communities: Forsyth County, Georgia; Coeur d'Alene, Idaho; and St. George, Utah. He became familiar with the landscapes and social structures; he got to know and sometimes grew fond of the residents; and through his reporting, he reveals the psychological, political, and cultural implications of this phenomenon. Economics drove previo (us American migrations--pioneers heading west, blacks moving north, farmers fleeing the Dust Bowl. But what is the cause of this new shift? Whitopia uncovers the real reasons some Americans are happy to leave the rest of us behind. (Note: I, for one, am extremely interested in what would make people in the year 2009 do this. I am white, but I will be the first to tell you that I'd rather be the only white than surrounded by them exclusively. How horribly monotonous and boring. I can't even begin to understand this phenomenon.)

From ? I received:

How to Catch and Keep a Vampire: A Step by Step Guide to Loving the Bad and the Beautiful by Diana Laurence
With loads of personal experience to draw upon, Laurence does everything from explaining the attraction to blood-drinkers to sharing what red satin signifies to them. In this work, she creates a road map to show readers how a vampire relationship can be achieved and conducted in harmony with everyday existence.

Books I purchased in London last week:

3 for 2 deal:


Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. Lee

3 for 2 deal:

A Very Short Intro to the Apocryphal Gospels A Very Short Intro to Hinduism A Very Short Intro to Islam


Books I purchased from Ed McKay's Used Books on Saturday:

The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel by Maureen Lindley
Based on the true story of a rebellious woman who earned a controversial place in history, "The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel" is a vibrant reimagining of a thrilling life--a rich historical epic of palace intrigue, sexual manipulation, and international espionage.

Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir and Michele Fitoussi
The adopted daughter of the king of Morocco, whose father was arrested and executed for a 1972 attempt to assassinate the king, tells the story of how she, her mother, and her five siblings endured years of imprisonment in a desert penal colony. This gripping memoir, a bestseller in hardcover, is "a graphic picture of what evil is like from the vantage point of its most innocent victims" ("Booklist").


Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets by Sudhir Venkatesh
First introduced in "Freakonomics," here is the full story of Sudhir Venkatesh, the sociology graduate student who infiltrated one of Chicago's most notorious gangs.

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell
In this wild and hilarious debut thriller, Peter Brown is a young Manhattan emergency room doctor with a past, a secret, and a gun--and he has 24 hours to save himself and beat the reaper.

What did you receive in your mailbox lately?

22 comments:

  1. That's a lot of books for one week. Awesome! I unfortunately had to curb my book buying and had to stop receiving ARC's because I have so many in such a little living space it's not even funny.
    I'm looking forward to the new year as hopefully by then I will have my bookshelves cleared up a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that your mailbox? Certainly is different. The Piano Teacher and Eastern Jewel were both very good. I hope you like them as much as I did.

    Have a good week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now if you could read these all in one week I'd be impressed! J/k
    Lots of variety and good titles I see.
    happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL at that mailbox!

    I've got the two austen books on my shelves and will likely read the first for the Everything Austen Challenge at some point. Though I'm reading Pride&Prejudice& Zombies right now so I may wait a bit until I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those look like great finds. I can't wait to read what you think of the Shamsie book and Whitopia. both of those look great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is some list of books. I am so jealous! Those Austen books make me want to join the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a nice bunch of books! I also have Private Papers but just haven't had a chance to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gang Leader For A Day is an interesting read. It's been a couple of years since I read it though.

    Private Papers of an Eastern Jewel looks good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed "Gang Leader for a Day." It isn't Shakespeare, but it is interesting. I need to get to "Private Papers of the Eastern Jewel" ASAP, I received it as an Early Reviewer book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a terrific week - but your mailbox is the topper on the cake!
    Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got books from all over the place. I really enjoyed Beat the Reaper, but must warn you that it has language and violence in it! I don't think I'd want to stick my hand in that mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice haul! I hope you enjoy them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of books!
    Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, I saw that How to Catch & Keep a Vampire in the bookstore the other day and was totally making fun of it. :D Let me know how that one goes, will you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've got a wonderful stack of books there! It looks like you had fun shopping in London!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I figured you would have a lot!!! And I got "Beat the Reaper" recently but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had fun shopping while you were away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I received a request for Whitopia. I thought it looked really good, but I have had to put a halt on my books for the time being until I can get a little more caught up! Can't wait to read your review on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, so just ignore this comment! I forgot to check the follow-up comments and need to comment again to receive the rest of the conversation in my email!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sadly, I just got bills in my mail today. I am dying to read the Jane Austen books. I can't wait to read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've seen a lot about Whitopia. I'm really interested to see what you think of it. Can't wait to read your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!