October 11, 2009

Australian Border's 100 Favorite Books of All Time

The Australian Borders has come out with their 100 Favorite Books of All Time. For fun I thought I'd see how many on their list I'd read. I enjoy doing that with these kinds of lists. Here is a list of the ones I have read, with the ones I own in bold and the ones I have reviewed on this site in red. Those that are among my favorite books of all time have an asterisk. The numbers here correspond to the number you can easily find the book on their list.

1. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen *
2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
4. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
9. Nineteen-Eighty Four by George Orwell *
11. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini *
16. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
23. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden *
24. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
26. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert *
29. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
38. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
40. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
41. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald *
50. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
51. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
61. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
67. A Time to Kill by John Grisham
70. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas *
81. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (technically I have to finish the very last part of the book)
87. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks


The ones I own and haven't read yet:
8. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
21. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
22. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
42. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
53. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
54. Atonement by Ian McEwan (tried once but did not finish)
63. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
73. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley


New to me books:
10. Magician by Raymond E. Feist
12. Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
13. Shantaram: A Novel by Gregory David Roberts
15. Power of One by Bruce Courtenay
20. Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
30. Fortunate Life by A.B. Facey
33. Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon
36. Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin
37. Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
43. April Fool's Day by Bryce Courtenay
45. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind
46. Ice Station by Matthew Reilly
66. Tulla by Paullina Simons
69. A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
74. In Turkey I Am Beautiful by Brendan Shanahan
75. Breath by Tim Winton
76. Jessica by Bruce Courtenay
77. Animalia by Graeme Base
85. Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly
91. Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

I was surprised to see:
27. NIV Mass Market Bible with Bible Guide - really? That is, first of all, a lot of Christians that voted and second of all, they all read the same Bible? Can anyone shed light on this?

11 comments:

  1. The Bible was probably listed frequently, then the highest selling Bible was used. NIV with bible guides are very popular. If you buy a bible from Walmart, that's the one you'll find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try and read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte! So good!
    Love the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked the list out because like you I love lists ;)Anyway, I only read the total of 28 books on this list and must say that as with other lists there really are some books on there that I wouldn't think deserve a spot. I think if you give Shantaram a chance you may really really like it. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These lists are always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read 27 and have one on the TBR pile to read soon.

    I have to say that I'm glad that a list finally just listed one book from a series (like The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe) instead of listing a set of books as one and then listing one of the books separately as well. Those drive me crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking through lists like these! The Gabaldon book was published as Outlander in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Petunia: Ah, okay. Thanks for shedding some light on that.

    Nina: I have it so hopefully I will get to it soon!

    Lilly: Thanks for the recommendation!

    Amanda: Don't book lists rock?

    Kristen M.: Oh, me too, me too! I am glad they did it that way too.

    Beth Fish Reads: Why do they change the names like that? Does it really make a huge difference in sales from one country to the next?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read The Power of One. That is a great book! It's about a boy growing up in Africa (I think it's South Africa, but I'm not sure) right around WWII. Perfume is on my TBR list. It's one my former professor's all-time favorite books. I also love the movie, which has Alan Rickman in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I just did a similar post on my blog, for this week's Musing Mondays.

    I've read 39 of the books, but am not convinced about the "of all time" nature of the list. It seems fairly contemporary.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always find it really interesting to see which ones make the top. I'm really surprised by some of these--The Notebook? I loved it and read it twice, but really? It wouldn't make a favorites list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read 13 on the list and own another 11. The Bronze Horseman is really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!