September 2, 2009

A-Z Wednesday D is for Divine and Death


Welcome to A-Z Wednesday!!

A-Z Wednesday is hosted by Vicki at Reading at the Beach.
I read her last two entries for letters A and B and decided I wanted to take part, too.
To join, here's all you have to do: Go to your stack of books and find one whose title starts with the letter of the week.
Post:
1~ a photo of the book
2~ title and synopsis
3~ link(amazon, barnes and noble etc.)
4~ Come back here and leave your link in the comments
If you've already reviewed this book you can post the review also.
Be sure to visit other participants to see what book they have posted and leave them a comment.
(We all love comments, don't we?)
Who knows? You may find your next "favorite" book.

This Week's Letter is D.
I want to share 2 books every week, one fiction and one nonfiction if I can, since my tastes are eclectic and I know many of you who read my blog also have eclectic taste. :) I am actually reading 2 books right now that start with D, but since I will be reviewing them soon, I decided to feature 2 other books on my shelves that start with D.

Fiction: The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
From Amazon.com
The "Inferno," the "Purgatorio," and the "Paradiso," comprise The Divine Comedy. Led by the souls of Virgil and his love Beatrice, Dante crosses the gulfs of Hell, climbs the mountain of Purgatory and arrives through the spheres of Heaven in the presence of God. Replete with symbolism and allusions based on Dante's fluency with philosophy, astronomy, natural science, politics and history, it is also widely recognized as one of the most influential works in the Western canon.
(This was the only other fiction book I own that starts with D besides the one I am reading. My book has a different cover.)

Nonfiction: Death of Innocence: The Story of the Hate Crime That Changed America by Mamie Till-Mobley
From Booklist
The mere mention of Emmett Till, a 14-year-old Chicago boy murdered in Mississippi in 1955, brings horrific memories for Americans. Till, on vacation in the south, was reportedly killed for whistling at a white woman. His murder and mutilation--he was wrapped in barbed wire and thrown into a river--shook the conscience of America and became a central stimulus for the modern civil rights movement. The graphic brutality of the murder and the courage of Till's mother were imprinted on American consciousness as she chose an open casket that displayed the horror of the crime to the world. In this as-told-to memoir, Till-Mobley recalls her son's early childhood through his 14 years of life. The second half of the book focuses on Till-Mobley herself, a woman determined to find meaning in the life and murder of her young son. Relying on the love and support of family, Till-Mobley earned college degrees late in life, works with the church, and makes a career of giving hope to other youth, surely meeting her objective that her son not have died in vain.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh what a combo! Actually Dante's tour through hell is much more pleasant than what Emmett Till went through!

    I love Divine Comedy. I was fortunate to read a copy that had illustrations by William Blake and it made a deep impression on me, and really was a catalyst for my life-long interest in art.

    Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stacks of books must be towering if you can come up with two books a week for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lordy. Don't even get me started on Dante. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!