September 27, 2009

TSS: I'm Off to India!


Guess what! I am getting on a plane in a few hours to go to India! Woohoo!

My younger sister, C., is getting married in India on Friday to a terrific man, K. We are so excited for him to be an official part of our family, though he has felt like a part of our family for a long time. K. grew up in India and came over to NC to go to college, which is where he and my sister met. Even though he lives here officially now, his parents still live in India. C. and K. will have their Indian wedding on Friday and then next July they will have their American wedding. As you may know, our father passed away in January so the thought of him not being there to walk her down the aisle (which is a big deal in America, especially the further South you go, I think) is too much right now so she is waiting until next year when it will be a bit less raw. I don't blame her at all.

I cannot
wait to see India! And I can only imagine how beautiful the Indian wedding will be. I saw Monsoon Wedding, which, if you don't know, is a movie about a couple who get married in India. While C. and K. met on their own and the couple in the movie were an arranged couple who fell in love, the weddings will be similar. There is typically a week of celebrations and rituals that go with an Indian wedding, but they have pared it down to 2 days of celebrations. I am psyched about the henna ceremony! We get the henna too! I will be sure to have a photo of my henna. :) K. will ride up on a white horse to the hotel where the ceremony will be-- how cool is that?

I will not have any photos of the wedding (maybe decorations, etc.) because it is not my deal, but I will have tons of photos of myself (especially of my outfit for the wedding if I wear a sari) and of India! I am hoping to see a Hindu temple while we are there, and if we can, an ashram, which I have been fascinated with since I read Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I want to visit the market and just see and take in as much as possible!

We will be flying to Newark and then from Newark we have a nonstop flight to India, which will be 15 hours. I have never been on a plane other than a small four-seater plane so this will also be a new experience for me! On our flight back we have a stop-over in London so we decided to stay there for a couple of days and look around- we've never been there either! We will take a couple of tours, including one that is supposed to show some not-so-touristy stuff. Plus I got some good suggestions from you guys of stuff to do and see, too! (I wish we had more time so we could do it all!) Then we will fly back home to NC and fall down from exhaustion and jet lag! lol

(Not my suitcases but they are way cool, right? And, no, I am not taking this many. I have one to check and then one carry on.)

Fifteen hours on a plane each way leaves a lot of time for, you guessed it- READING!!!

So, what
AM I taking with me?








  • Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
  • The Opium Clerk by Kunal Basu
  • Saffron Dreams by Shaila Abdullah
  • I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti
  • Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  • Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace One School at a Time by Greg Mortensen
  • The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

I am taking a couple more books than I will likely finish (I will probably sleep some on the plane) but that way I will have a little bit of a choice. I wanted to take something serious and something funny, a short book, a light book, and a more challenging read. So hopefully I have collected a good mix. I knew I wanted something with some humor in it for when I get to missing my dad during the trip. He would have loved to visit India and London and would have loved to see C. and K. get married. He will be there in spirit, though. (C. and K. have been dating for years. My dad knew him well and liked him.)

Last of all, don't think for a minute I did not think of you while planning my trip! I have lined up some absolutely spectacular guest posts for you by some absolutely spectacular book bloggers! Plus, Tuesdays and Thursdays will have the 20 Questions feature, per usual! I have not had a chance to complete the Take Me Away post for Saturday yet, but if I get a few minutes I will get it posted for you. If I don't get to it, New Zealand will be featured on the following Saturday. There's just been so much to do!

Which is why I am SO SO thankful to the bloggers who wrote these great guest posts for me. I am going to make you wait in anticipation to see who the 10 are and what bookish topics they write about. But I can assure you that there are thought-provoking posts, interesting discussion questions, and lots of book recommendations!

Well, that is it for me. I am off to India and London. I can hardly believe it! See you in two weeks!

Namaste,
Rebecca:)

39 comments:

  1. That is so exciting! Congratulations to your sister and I hope you have an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO EXCITED for you Rebecca!! You are going to have such a great time! Congrats to the happy couple and I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! Have fun and BE SAFE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW you get to go to India, I am so jealous! I hope you get some time to sight see, and especially to see the Taj Mahal, that has really got to be something!

    Congrats to your sister, may they have a lifetime of love and happiness.

    Here's to hoping you have a safe, fun, and exciting trip. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you are coming to India? Whereabouts? Did you know I live in India? New Delhi, that is.

    If you are coming to Delhi, just shoot me a mail:

    gautami.tripathy[at]gmail.com

    TSS: The past week in retrospect and on to the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rebecca, I am so excited for you! Henna is so cool. I got to go through a Henna ceremony when I was in Palestine for my sister's wedding 2 years ago. So much fun! Congratulations to C and K!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your sister!!!

    Have fun, If you are anywhere near Pune or Mumbai just let me know :)

    Hope you have lots and lots of fun, will look forward to the pictures.

    P.S. Monsoon Wedding is one of my favorite movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing adventure you have in front of you! Hope it all everyone could want from such a special event. Happy reading on the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well wishes to your sister and soon-to-be husband.

    Way cool for you to be able to make the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so exciting! I'm sure you'll have such a wonderful time. Can't wait to see pictures! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eagerly anticipating photos. Sounds like an amazingly fabulous excursion. Best wishes to your sister.

    Check out some Indian bookstores and let us know how they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to hear all about your trip!!! Travel safe, have tons of fun, and enjoy your books!! They look like good ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun! So jealous! Where in India are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Henna is so fun! Enjoy your trip, and we'll look forward to photos when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your trip and your holiday reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, how exciting! Have a great trip. Can't wait to hear all about it when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to you and your family! I am fantastically jealous of you getting to go to India.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best wishes to your sister and her husband! And wishing you a wonderful trip - it's sure to be full of special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to your sister and her soon to be husband. I hope you have a fantastic time in India. I hope you enjoy visiting England too. At the moment the weather is really warm, so fingers crossed it will hold until you arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a great trip! I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How exciting for you! I hope you have a wonderful time, Rebecca. Congratulations to your sister and her soon to be husband. Your book choices for the trip look good. Like you, I tend to pack a variety to cover just about any reading mood I might be in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay, Rebecca! We'll miss you, but I think you'll have a wonderful time. Take lots of pictures--especially if there's dancing at the wedding. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope that you have a fantastic trip! My husband and I had an Indian-American wedding in June. While our families are both from India, we were raised with different religions and customs. As a result, we had two different weddings and incorporated lots of traditions during our four day event. It was a lot of fun, but very crazy! I hope that you enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. have a wonderful trip, and best wishes to your sister for a long happy married life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You get to go to India & you have a great pile of books- I am bursting with excitement for you! Have a great trip Rebecca! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you have a wonderful trip! It's going to be like a mini read-a-thon on the plane ride for you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wish you the best of time over there in India! This wedding sounds fantastic and it sure is a great occasion for celebration! Have a great time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have a wonderful time, Rebecca! I've always wanted to go to India. Congratulations to your sister and K.!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you have the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, this sounds like an amazing trip and I hope that you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have fun!! I'll look forward to (hopefully) seeing a few pics of India when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's so exciting!! Congrats to the new couple! :D I hope you'll share some pics with us when you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have fun! Congratulations to the couple!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so excited for you. It sounds like it is going to be one interesting and fantastic trip. I can't wait to see the photos! And I know you'll love London. I was there once and fell instantly in love. Have so much fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh this is so exciting! Especially since I've been watching lots of indian movies lately, I'll put Monsoon Wedding in the TBR pile.

    Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself! Congratulations to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can't tell you how jealous I am enough times!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I came to know from a comment by Ali that you are coming to India! WOW!
    That's cool! You forgot to mention where in India :) :)

    I live in Mysore, Karnataka, India!

    I sure HOPE you ENJOY it here!!!! Have FUN!

    So happy for your sis! I am sorry to hear about your Dad.. but I am sure he will be blessing you all from up there and smiling :) :)

    Have a good trip... i m going to subscribe to yours and will look forward to the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well, you're already off but I hope you're having a truly fabulous time!! Hope you share some pictures when you get back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!