September 22, 2009

Serena of Savvy Verse & Wit Answers 20 Questions

Welcome back to 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better. Today I would like to present to you Serena, who authors Savvy Verse & Wit, War Through the Generations, and is the D.C. Literature Examiner. Thanks, Serena!



20 QUESTIONS





1. Last book you bought: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (my review is here and Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris and Best Burgers.

2. Last book you got in the mail: A Prisoner of Versailles by Golden Keyes Parsons

3. The first book you read over and over: Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (not sure which one I began re-reading first)

4. Children’s book every child should read: The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein--this book has a lot to teach kids about giving and more. I took away the knowledge that I should be more giving in return for others' giving and not take the environment for granted...it won't always be there.

5. Favorite place to read: On the couch all sprawled out or outside in the grass with a great picnic of wine, cheese, and fruit.

6. A book you bought just for the cover: A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

7. Scariest book ever read: IT by Stephen King, this book gave me nightmares, but I think I was probably too young to be reading it at age 10.

8. Most romantic book ever read: Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

9. Book that changed your life in some way: I'm going to be redundant here: Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen; this book made me realize that I could stick up for myself and not be the meek little girl in the corner at family picnics or in the school yard. It was ok to have an opinion.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen--I just reread this last year, actually.

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad! (Let's just say that I've never gotten over my dislike of Joseph Conrad's impenetrable writing

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: Drood by Dan Simmons (I don't think I'm the only one using a dictionary with this book

13. Book you like that no one else seems to: Four Corners of the Sky by Michael Malone

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: The Art of Fiction by John Gardner (I really hate this book, but writers always seem to love it; I found his style condescending.)

15. Number of books you own (you can guess): 850-1000 (some are on shelves, in piles on the floor, in piles on the kitchen table/desk, and others are in boxes in the closet)

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): 700 ( I really don't have room for these anyway...LOL)

17. Must-have reading accessories: A tall, ice cold glass of Arizona green tea or water, a good light source, and a pillow to hold up my book, not to mention those great little sticky notes to mark passages for my reviews. Also a nice blanket because my husband likes the living room to be ice cold...and my feet become ice cubes.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: Galway Bay, Ireland or Pemberley, England

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: Only three authors?! Jane Austen, Anita Shreve, Christopher Moore (Shakespeare, William Blake--oh, wait he's a poet, and many others.)

20. Three Book Bloggers You Want to See Featured for 20 Questions in the Future:

Anna of Diary of an Eccentric, Dawn of She Is Too Fond of Books, and Jenners of Find Your Next Book Here.

Thanks for participating, Serena! I enjoyed getting to know you better!


Check the schedule below to see who is appearing next on 20 Questions!

Thursday, Sept. 24: Jill of Rhapsody in Books
Tuesday, Sept. 29: Gayle of Everyday I Write the Book
Thursday, Oct. 1: Debbie of Debbie's World of Books
Tuesday, Oct. 6: Shannan of Shannan Loves Books and Movies
Thursday, Oct. 8: Alea of Pop Culture Junkie
Tuesday, Oct. 13: Amy of Passages to the Past

Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

18 comments:

  1. Dont we just love Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feature! I love her answers! I feel like I got to know her a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Christopher Moore fan! I loved A Dirty Job and it indeed had a great cover.

    The Giving Tree is another great one, although Where the Sidewalk Ends will always be number one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to guess that Serena loves Pride and Prejudice. She's as cute in real life as she is in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picnic setting for reading! Sounds good even for not reading! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that Serena's way of ordering me to answer the questions? LOL I might just do that.

    In college, we had so much trouble with Joseph Conrad, but I'll give her credit for making it farther than I did.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Giving Tree is a great one!! I didn't discover that one until I was grown!! As for Pride and Prejudice . . . I really need to pick this one up! Never read it and I feel like I am missing out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if I used a dictionary while reading Drood... I might have. It's hard to remember; it all blurs together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of Serena's P&P answers make me like her even more.

    Anna- I think that Serena is politely asking you so that she doesn't have to order you. ;) No, but you are welcome to answer the questions! The more the merrier! I love learning more about all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great one! I'm really loving this feature ... and yes I will try and send answers to you soon so I can be a part of this. I don't think I'd ever seen a photo of Serena so that was really cool for me. And as a new Christopher Moore convert, I know I'm in good company. And "The Giving Tree" is one of my favorite childhood books too! Makes me cry to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE LOVE The Giving Tree :0

    Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! Rebecca, I really love this feature of yours. And Serena, I love P&P and The Giving Tree, too! And there's nothing so nice as snuggling down to read while cuddled up in a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to getting to meet Serena this weekend at the National Book Festival. You're interview is timely as it increases my anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Rebecca! I'll be in touch with my answers soon.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I haven't been online here sooner. Thanks everyone for your comments and checking out my answers. P&P seems to always make the list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anna: Yes, this is polite prodding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to get lost in your library!!!! Love Austen too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this feature. Gonna have to disagree on The Giving Tree though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!