September 22, 2009

Period Drama Challenge


The Period Drama Challenge is hosted by Lights, Camera, History and it is a movie challenge. I love historical fiction and period dramas so I was excited to stumble upon this. It has been out since January, but I just found it recently. Here is what it is about in case you, like me, have been under a rock. :)

First of all, this will be an annual challenge starting the 01/07/2009 and ending the 01/07/2010. No need to rush, this is to be enjoyed and, if someone wishes, discussed.

After careful deliberation, we’ve decided to set several levels of difficulty. Each person will select their levels according to the number of movies they want to see during the following year.

1. Just looking (2 movies)

2. Becoming interested (4 movies)

3. Faithful viewer (6 movies)

4. Clearly addicted (8 movies)

5. Undoubtedly obsessed (12 movies)

To make things more interesting, you can choose any of these themes for your challenge. Let us give you an example. Let’s say that Miss X chooses level 5 (12 movies) and decides to go for Kings & Queens and Wars & Revolutions. She simply has to divide those 12 movies between these two themes.

Challenge themes:

- Kings & Queens (central plot around royalty)

- Through the Centuries (1 movie per century)

- Wars & Revolutions (plot set during a war or revolution)

- Bonnets & Hessians (set during the Regency)

- Victorian Mist (set during the Victorian era)

- Maids & Knights (set during the Middle Ages)

- All Over the World (1 movie per country)

After watching each movie, you can do a review or just a quick little post in your blog/website so that we know how you are doing. You can send us the link through the contact form above. Be sure to add to the title “Movie Challenge”, please.


I am going for Level 4 which is Clearly Addicted- 8 movies. Woohoo! I am, so it fits. :)

My challenge themes are: Kings and Queens and All Over the World. I already watch so much Regency that I want to spread out my range a little bit. :) I mean I can't even keep count on how many times I have watched P&P. I mean, seriously. I am also staying away from any movies I have seen more than one (ahem, Ever After, Last of the Mohicans, Other Boleyn Girl, etc.) Here are some of the movies I am thinking about, w/ those I've seen (once) in bold:

  • The Illusionist with Edward Norton & Jessica Biel (Set in Vienna, Austria)
  • Around the World in 80 Days (Set in China, India, France, etc.)
  • The Impressionists (About Claude Monet and set in France)
  • The Piano with Holly Hunter (Set in New Zealand)
  • Madame Bovary (Set in France)
  • The Girl with the Pearl Earring (Set in Netherlands)
  • Attila with Gerard Butler (Set in Ancient Rome)
  • Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett (Queen of England)
  • The Tudors (Season 1 should be on DVD, I don't get Showtime)
  • One Night with the King (Queen Esther of Persia)
  • The Queen with Helen Mirren
  • The King and I with Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner (King of Siam)
  • Queen Christina with Greta Garbo (a sexy swashbuckler androgynous queen)
WHAT I'VE WATCHED (& my ratings):
All Over the World-
  • October 2009- Dangerous Beauty (set in 16th century Venice)*****
  • November 2009- The Governess (set in 1840s Scotland) ***
  • December 2009- Moll Flanders (18th century England)

Kings & Queens-
  • October 2009- One Night with the King (Queen Esther of Persia) ****
  • October 2009- The King and I (King of Siam) ***
  • December 2009- Queen Margot (of France)**

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, a challenge button with Richard Armitage's face on it? That's enough to have me very interested...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen most of those movies. The Illusionist is probably my favorite of the group.

    Did you know The King & I (both the Deborah Kerr version and the more recent one) were banned in Thailand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! I still have a lot of period drama to catch up with, so this challenge fits like a glove :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm doing this challenge as well. I've followed that blog for awhile, as period dramas are an obsession of mine...which is why I chose #5. (Although, does that mean I watch too much TV???) The titles look good! I can't wait to see your reviews come pouring in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone needs to take your temperature!! Are you sick? Don't you have enough challenges???? I love this!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the challenge! :-)

    I have The Impressionists, The Tudors and Elizabeth in the TBS pile...maybe it's time to pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have to do this! It will give me an excuse to watch my favorite movie, Braveheart, again!

    I have an award for you over at my blog:

    http://thetruebookaddict.blogspot.com/2009/09/awards-backlog.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!