September 17, 2009

J.T. of Bibliofreak Answers 20 Questions

Welcome back to my new feature, 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better. Today I would like to present to you J.T. of Bibliofreak, a very interesting blog! Go visit if you haven't yet! Thanks, J.T!



20 QUESTIONS






1. Last book you bought: A couple days ago I bought Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk and Geektastic for my husband...You know, one of those gifts where I kind of want them for myself, too.

2. Last book you got in the mail: Yesterday I got The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, which I won from Epic Rat.

3. The first book you read over and over: D'Ulaires' Book of Greek Myths (I used to check it out of my school's library all the time as a kid)

4. Children’s book every child should read: the Dr. Seues ouevre

5. Favorite place to read: Anywhere. I am even quite accomplished at reading while walking.

6. A book you bought just for the cover: The Third Jesus by Deepak Chopra, as part of the Take a Chance Challenge hosted by Jenners

7. Scariest book ever read: I don't read a whole lot of scary stuff, but I will be reading some for the RIP challenge, and I expect that to be pretty terrifying.

8. Most romantic book ever read: Yeah, I don't really read a lot of that, either. Hm...The Time Traveler's Wife comes to mind.

9. Book that changed your life in some way: The American Girl Books. Believe it or not, I hated and was not very good at reading when I was a kid. I liked being read to, but not reading. Then, the summer between second and third grade, my mom promised me a cat if I read every day for the whole summer. I started on the American Girl books and devoured them. They changed my life because it finally got me reading and then I went on to major in English and have a book blog etc. etc. etc. This goes to show that who you are, and how you do in school in your early years is not always indicative of how you'll turn out.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: Girl by Blake Nelson.

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: I've gotten Cliff Notes for 2 books: first, one of my most hated books, Lord of the Flies. After throwing it across the room when I was a freshman in high school, I got the Cliff Notes. The second is Paradise Lost, which is one of my favorites. I read it and a bunch of lit crit when I took a class on it during a study abroad in college.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: I'm pretty good with roots and context, but I use OED.com for etymology questions. Unfortunately it costs $300/year, so I have to wait until I go to the library.

13. Book you like that no one else seems to: Shortly after I reviewed Flight by Sherman Alexie, I heard him on NPR say that it hardly sold at all. I gave it a good review, but when I looked at what I'd said, I noticed I focussed mostly on Seattle, where it takes place, and I've lived for the last 4 years.

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: OMG, there are so many. Like I said, Lord of the Flies, 1984, anything by Steinbeck, most of Hemmingway. The Bell Jar...

15. Number of books you own (you can guess): It's probably a three digit number.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): well, I have a few separate TBRs. One is my review copies. Another is my challenges. Another is the books I own but haven't read. Another is all the books I hear about and want to read but haven't gotten yet. So...anywhere between a few and dozens, depending on which list.

17. Must-have reading accessories: light.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: Narnia.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: Zadie Smith, Blake Nelson, and Thomas Hardy. There's more, but those three come to mind immediately.

20. Three Book Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future: Raych from Books I Done Read, T.Y. from the Lit Connection, and Elena from With Extra Pulp, all of whom are very smart and funny.



Check the schedule below to see who is appearing next on 20 Questions!

Tuesday, Sept. 22: Serena of Savvy Verse & Wit
Thursday, Sept. 24: Jill of Rhapsody in Books
Tuesday, Sept. 29: Gayle of Everyday I Write the Book
Thursday, Oct. 1: Debbie of Debbie's World of Books
Tuesday, Oct. 6: Shannan of Shannan Loves Books and Movies
Thursday, Oct. 8: Alea of Pop Culture Junkie
Tuesday, Oct. 13: Amy of Passages to the Past

Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

10 comments:

  1. I've been longing for a hard-copy version of the OED, unabridged. Spendy, though, just like the online subscription.

    I'd love to visit Narnia, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of OED, but it sounds like something to look into - the next time I'm at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a good laugh when I saw Zadie Smith ... I 'closed down' my last book club when I selected Autograph Man and no one could bring themselved to get through it - we never met again. Perhaps I should try a different Smith book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I'm not the only one who was mad about D'Aulaire's Greek Myths as a kid! Great interview.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate Hemmingway with a passion and thought The Bell Jar was awful, too.

    Didn't you just read a romance novel...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had read Paradise Lost with a class. I'm not sure if I trust my brain's ability to cope with it on its own.

    Hooray for Geektastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Narnia would be a great literary place to be!! I hated the Bell Jar too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure I couldn't walk and read ... I'm impressed with this talent. And Dr. Suess is a must for every child ... and adult. Another great addition to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I am really, really late in replying to this, but what a great interview!! Just curious . . . do you have a fave Seuss?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!