September 15, 2009

Jackie of Farm Lane Books Answers 20 Questions

Welcome back to 20 Questions where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better. Today I would like to present to you Jackie of the terrific blog Farm Lane Books! Thanks so much, Jackie!



20 QUESTIONS





1. Last book you bought: Catching Fire by Susanne Collins. Technically I bought it ages ago, as I pre-ordered it the moment I finished reading The Hunger Games, but it is the latest one to have been released.

2. Last book you got in the mail: The Island at the End of the World. The author, Sam Taylor, left a lovely comment on my blog after I predicted (unsuccessfully) that his book would make the Booker long list. He sent me a lovely signed copy of his book to thank me.

3. The first book you read over and over: I’m afraid I don’t re-read books. I have too many waiting in my TBR pile.

4. Children’s book every child should read: The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson.

5. Favorite place to read: I love reading in the bath, but there are some books I don’t like to get wet, (and I can’t stay in there forever!) so I also read on my comfy sofa.

6. A book you bought just for the cover: I have bought lots of books just for the cover. Anything with black page edges attracts me. I discovered The End of My Y this way and was rewarded, as I loved it!

7. Scariest book ever read: The Blindness by Jose Saramago. The current flu epidemic makes reading this book even more scary – it makes me want to move to the country and become self-sufficient, just in case I need to isolate myself if another pandemic starts!

8. Most romantic book ever read: The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

9. Book that changed your life in some way: I’m afraid that I don’t think a single book has changed my life. I’m sure that a lot of them have helped to shape my opinion of things, but I haven’t found a pivotal one yet.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: See answer 3!

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: I've never used Cliff's Notes – we have different guides here in the UK, but I needed to read a study guide to fully appreciate Beloved by Toni Morrison. It is so complex that I missed most of the symbolism when I read the book for myself.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: I really needed a dictionary for Cloudstreet by Tim Winton, but unfortunately Australian slang isn’t in my dictionary!

13. Book you like that no one else seems to: I don't know if I have a good answer for this. The closest, I suppose, is Lolita by Nabokov. Yes, some people love it like I do, but many people really dislike it or are too uncomfortable to read it.

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson. It was too gentle for me – I like things with a bit more pace!

15. Number of books you own (you can guess): 10, 000 (counting 7,000 I have for my book selling business, which often end up being read/referred to!)

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): About 500!

17. Must-have reading accessories: I don’t have any. I’m happy with just the book.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: Willie Wonka’s chocolate factory!!

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: Jose Saramago, Sarah Waters and David Mitchell.

20. Three Bloggers You Want to See Featured for 20 Questions in the Future: I could name lots of book bloggers, but I’d like to set you the challenge of getting the authors Neil Gaiman and Chris Cleave, and the British TV personality, Stephen Fry, to participate. All have great blogs and I’d love to know their answers!

I accept your challenge, Jackie! Fingers crossed! :)


Check the schedule below to see who is appearing next on 20 Questions!

Thursday, Sept. 17: J.T. of Bibliofreak
Tuesday, Sept. 22: Serena of Savvy Verse & Wit
Thursday, Sept. 24: Jill of Rhapsody in Books
Tuesday, Sept. 29: Gayle of Everyday I Write the Book

Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

12 comments:

  1. Fabulous post feature/format and fantastic answers from Jackie!

    I agree with #13: I love Lolita too but so many people think they should hate it because of the subject matter. To me it is a beautiful book with sumptuous writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10,000 books! Even if you take the 7,000 for her business away, that's 3,000 books! Holy cow! I'd love to see a picture of her bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10,000 books?...my mind is officially blown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah. #13 is word-for-word the same as my answer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10,000 books!! I'm coming to your house!! I miss a lot of symbolism too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Gruffalo! One of my favorites, also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool would it be to get Neil Gaiman to do an interview??? I would totally squee. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview; it was great to learn more about Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the lovely interview! I really enjoyed it. I was bowled over by the 10,000 books and wondered where she puts them all though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Gruffalo is an excellent book! We read it a lot around these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting my interview!

    I'm not sure what happended with #13 I think I must have left Amanda's answer in. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't re-read, either. There are some books I'd like to, but I'd rather spend the time with something new.

    And good luck with the task that Jackie assigned!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!