September 15, 2009

Interview Swap with Robin of My Two Blessings- BBAW


Today is Interview Swap Day! I had the honor of interviewing Robin of My Two Blessings. Not only is Robin super sweet, but she is funny and has a great blog! But don't take my word for it, read her answers to my mix of bookish and non-bookish questions and be sure to visit her blog to see her interview with me!








1. How did you get into book blogging?
I owe it all to Katrina of Callapidder’s Days. I stumbled upon her Fall Reading Challenge back in 2007 and decided to join. Through the challenge I discovered a whole new world of bloggers who enjoyed reading and talking about books. Once I wrote that first review, I was pretty much hooked.

2. What are your favorite genres to read?
My favorite genres change with the tides or rather my age, it seems. I’ve gone through my teenage years being hooked on Romance and Mysteries to my 20’s hooked on science fiction/fantasy to my 30’s hooked on Christian fiction. My 40’s turned into experimental years, reading wise. Now my reading is pretty eclectic and I enjoy all kinds of Christian and secular thrillers, mysteries and suspense; paranormal and suspense romances, Science Fiction/Fantasy. Throw in a few classics or British mysteries here and there and I’m a happy camper.

3. Are there any genres you don’t read?
Horror, self help, poetry. I can’t handle true life, tear jerker stories or stories about child abuse.

4. What is a book you bought just for its cover?
Funny you should ask. I usually buy books based on the story or written by a favorite author. When I’m in the store, a cover may attract me, but if the story doesn’t sound so hot or the writing isn’t good, I won’t buy it just because I like the cover. However, Jen from Find Your Next Book Here included in her Take a Chance Challenge, the challenge of reading a book based on its cover. I ended up going on Amazon and looking at new books and picked out some based on their covers. I forced myself not to read the book description, which was really hard. I ended up buying Vanished by Joseph Finder. But now that I’ve done the exercise, I think I’ll be a bit more open to randomly choosing a book by its cover. I still want to go back and buy the other three I came across on Amazon.

5. What was your favorite book to read as a child? As a teenager?
I think my favorite books when I was a child were written by Dr. Seuss. Other than that I don’t remember any particular titles. If you asked my husband that question, he could tell you what book he read in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Both he and my son have a photographic memory and their minds are just full of all those little details. Me – it’s a blur. My favorite books when I was a teenager eons ago was the Xanth series written by Piers Anthony. Plus numerous other stories by Isaac Asimov, Alan Dean Foster, Margaret Weis. As a matter of fact I still have all those books collected way back then.


6. How many books do you own?
Well, we have bookshelves in every room of the house and they are filled to the brim. I would have to say at least 2000+.

7. What are three books you are coveting right now?
Do I have to narrow it down to just three? I have over 200 listed on my Amazon wish list. But the three I am coveting and want right now, right this minute are: J.D. Robb’s newest book in her In Death series: Kindred in Death. Next up is one that was just released so I may be getting it soon is L.L. Foster’s Servant: The Kindred. And one I just found out about that was written by one of my favorite authors Charles De Lint under a different pen name: From a Whisper to a Scream. Those three are on my definitely want it now list.

8. Where is your favorite place to read?
Early mornings, out on our patio or in the evenings, curled up in our comfy chair in the living room.

9. What are your must-have reading accessories?
LOL! Reading glasses.

10. Are your friends/family big readers or are you the token bookworm?
Yep, my whole family – parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces. Well you get the picture. I came from a family of readers.

11. What about the area you live in would appeal to book lovers?
Northern California – lots of bookstores, multiple libraries and beautiful parks to enjoy reading in.

12. What literary destination would you most like to travel to?
I would really like to do a literary tour through London, Scotland, Rome, Ireland. I’m dying to visit Waterstone’s in London or The Lion in Rome. Walk in the footsteps of Shakespeare or take Hemingway’s Paris walk.

13. What are your other hobbies, besides reading?
Wait! You mean I’m supposed to have other hobbies besides reading? Besides blogging which has become a big time hobby, I’ve taken up writing novels. Back in 2007 I discovered National Novel Write Month and have been writing ever since. I have two works in progress - one that I’m totally rewriting because it was my first effort after all and my writing has improved a bit since then. The other is waiting to be edited. I’m going to be starting a new story in November for the 2009 Nano. Very excited about it and will be spending the month of October researching and figuring out my characters and the story line.

14. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Flight. I want to fly like superman. Except – no capes. Imagine Edna from the Incredibles: “no capes, darlin.”

15. What is your favorite first line in a book?
I don’t really have a favorite first line. Can’t remember them all.

16. What invention are you hoping we will have soon?
Maxwell smart’s shoe phone.

17. Can you name three favorite authors?
Ah – just three, I have so many. But for you, will narrow it down a bit.

Nora Roberts aka J.D. Robb
Charles De Lint
Robyn Carr

18. What would make a great title for a book?
“Vacant Edge”
“The Iron Gate”
“The Glass Madhouse”


19. What is your life motto/mantra?
“Let go and Let God” is my number one saying. I’ve always been a very positive, optimistic person. Life is what you make of it. I love the parable about the optimistic boy who when put in a room full of manure said “I know there’s a pony in there someplace.” I’ll be forever looking for that pony.



20. And finally, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
LOL! I love tootsie rolls and tootsie pops. But no matter how many times I’ve tried counting, I just can’t help crunching down and getting to that yummy center. There have been many scientific studies but because of the wide range of result, no one will ever know for sure.


Isn't Robin awesome? She owns 2000+ books, she's an eclectic reader, she writes, she cracked me up, and on top of it all she gave me a great idea for a place to visit while I am in London in 3 weeks! Score!

Leave Robin some love by leaving a comment below and then going to visit her blog here.

14 comments:

  1. Robin is one of my favorite bloggers – we have so much in common!
    And I realized that although you and I are facebook friends, I’ve somehow never subscribed to you blog – crisis!!! Off to fix that right now …

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on Robin's blog almost every single day -- thanks for your great questions and for giving me a chance to know her better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin is a great reviewer. She reads such great books. I love her posts!

    BBAW: Interviewing myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for introducing me to a new blog! I hadn't heard of My Two Blessings before reading this interview. And wow, 2000+ books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky to come from a family of readers! A few of my family members have started reading more in the last few years. But I was mostly alone growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous of the 2000 books and the bookshelves in every room. Maybe someday in my dream house!

    I admire that she's doing the Nano Writing - that's something I think I might try once my kids are older. I have a hard time finding the time to blog and creative writing time is nonexistant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the life motto/mantra! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your questions, Rebecca. You came up with some good ones. It was so enjoyable to read Robin's answers and get to know her better.

    I thought I had joined BBAW but I must have messed up because I didn't get to do an interview. It would have be so fun. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin is pretty awesome!! I love the fact that everyone in her family loves to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun interview! It sounds like Robin enjoys challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire Robin just because she is teaching her kids to read Latin. That is the bomb. I aspire to be that awesome when I'm a parent.

    Robin, if you ever do take Hemingway's walk through Paris, be sure to stumble around in a drunken manner to give it a feel of extra authenticity. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maxwell Smart's shoe phone? I loved that show!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview, Rebecca! I just discovered Robin's blog earlier today, and just loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!