September 29, 2009

Gayle of Everyday I Write the Book Answers 20 Questions

Welcome back to 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better. Today I would like to present to you Gayle of Everyday I Write the Book! Thanks, Gayle!




20 QUESTIONS






1. Last book you bought: I don't buy that many books anymore, because I get a lot from publishers, and my TBR pile is totally out of control. I think the last book I actually bought was The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller, purchased at Island Books in Corolla, NC.

2. Last book you got in the mail: A galley of the new Audrey Niffenegger, Her Fearful Symmetry (due out at the end of September). I feel very lucky to have gotten an advance copy! But I haven't started it yet.

3. The first book you read over and over: The Westing Game or Harriet the Spy.

4. Children's book every child should read: Oh god, there are so many good ones. I can't pick just one.

5. Favorite place to read: I read anywhere and everywhere I can - my bed, my couch, in waiting rooms, on airplanes, waiting for my kids to get out of ballet or a birthday party, in my backyard very occasionally. I just wish I had more time to read. Ideally, I love to read under a big umbrella on the beach.

6. A book you bought just for the cover. I've never done that. If the inside jacket doesn't sound interesting, a good cover won't sway me.

7. Scariest book ever read: We Need To Talk About Kevin, by Lionel Shriver (reviewed here).

8. Most romantic book ever read: It's a tie between Pride and Prejudice and The Time Traveler's Wife.

9. Book that changed your life in some way: Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed. Those of us with desk jobs are lucky.

10. Book you've re-read the most times: Lolita, by Vladimir Nabakov.

11. Book you needed the Cliff's Notes for: Ulysses, by James Joyce. YUCK.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: Anything by Alain de Boton.

13. Book you like that no one else does: This doesn't happen that often. It's usually the reverse.

14. Book you don't like that every one else seems to:There seem to be a lot of these. I keep giving books lukewarm reviews, and finding that everyone else loves them. What's wrong with me?

15. Number of books you own (you can guess):I can't even begin to guess. 1000?

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): All of the books on my TBR list are in my possession at the moment. I think there must be 200.

17. Must-have reading accessories: A book. If my contacts are out, my glasses.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go To: Guernsey, in the Channel Islands.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: I always find this question hard to answer. Here are a few: Jennifer Haigh, Lionel Shriver, and the late Caroline Knapp.

20. Three Bloggers You Want To See Participate In This Feature: Swapna of S. Krishna's Books, because I am in awe of her reading prowess; Stephanie of Stephanie's Written Word, because I love how she writes and I always look forward to reading her blog; and Jill at Breaking the Spine, who has very similar taste to mine.


Thank you for participating, Gayle! I enjoyed getting to know you better!


Check the schedule below to see who is appearing next on 20 Questions!

Thursday, Oct. 1: Debbie of Debbie's World of Books
Tuesday, Oct. 6: Shannan of Shannan Loves Books and Movies
Thursday, Oct. 8: Alea of Pop Culture Junkie
Tuesday, Oct. 13: Amy of Passages to the Past
Thursday, Oct. 15: Tracy of Yule Time Reading

Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know when you will be featured! Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Great answers gayle. It was great meeting her in person!

    I have not read this Joyce novel that both Jill and Gayle have talked about in their answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I love about these 20 questions posts.I get to see that there are lots of people who feel exactly the way I do about collecting, reading & writing about books.
    Every 20 questions interview so far has been like meeting a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'd love to go to Guernsey too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm completely with Gayle on We Need To Talk About Kevin. Reading that book is like pulling off a bandaid. Some people have to pull it off quickly (read it quickly) and some people, like me, have to peel it off slowly (I could only read about 20 pages at a sitting). So powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha--Colette from A Buckeye Girl Reads and I were just talking about how we'd love to visit the Channel Islands, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!