September 1, 2009

20 Questions- Featuring Tif of Tif Talks Books

Welcome back to my new feature, 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better. Today I would like to present to you Tif of Tif Talks Books! Thanks, Tif!







20 QUESTIONS






1. Last book you bought: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (It was actually a yard sale find for $0.50!!!!)
2. Last book you got in the mail: It was actually a pack of four titles from Sylvan Dell Publishing: What's New at the Zoo? An Animal Adding Adventure by Suzanne Slade; Count Down to Fall by Fran Hawk; Moose and Magpie by Bettina Restrepo; and Mother Osprey: Nursery Rhymes for Buoys & Gulls by Lucy Nolan. The reviews can be found on my website if you are interested!!
3. The first book you read over and over: Definitely The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner. I recently re-read it and still love it!!
4. Children’s book every child should read: This question is so hard because there are so many wonderful children's books! Today I will have to say either Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett or Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. Both were books that I discovered as an adult and I wish that I had discovered as a child!
5. Favorite place to read: Curled up in my oversized chair in a QUIET sitting room!! I don't get that often with two young children!! :)
6. A book you bought just for the cover: I think the book that fits this question the most is probably Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo. I just loved the cover art!! I have yet to read the book though, so I have no idea if the story is as good as the art!! :)
7. Scariest book ever read: It by Stephen King!! The clown is very frightening!!
8. Most romantic book ever read: I don't read a lot of real romance novels, so I had to go browse my shelves to come up with a title on this one. I don't know if this would really even count as romance, but I'm going with it anyway . . . The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
9. Book that changed your life in some way: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, recommended by a colleague, opened my eyes to a whole different world of books in my college years!! I have never been the same again!!
10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: If you count the entire series, definitely Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling! If I'm going with a single book, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West is in very close competition.
11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: I have never used Cliff's Notes!
12. Book you needed the dictionary for: I usually don't use a dictionary, but rather just try to figure out the meaning by its context OR just skip it and keep on reading! However, I will say that my current book has made me turn to the dictionary, so I guess I will go with that one: Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder.
13. Book you like that no one else seems to: I'm going to go with 2 different titles here . . . 1) Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire and 2) Blindness by Jose Saramago. Both are amazing books, but I usually hear so many negative things about them!
14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: The Road by Cormac McCarthy . . . I will admit that I think it is beautifully written, but about a most depressing subject!! It was a struggle for me to get through! Oh, and Anna Karenina by Tolstoy . . . that book was soooo hard to finish!!
15. Number of books you own (you can guess): Some of my books are at my office and others are still in boxes, so my guess would be between 500 and 600!! Not quite enough for my personal library yet!! :)
16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): I do not have an accurate number on this one, but am in the midst of getting all of my desires in one list. My current estimate is approximately 150!!
17. Must-have reading accessories: A glass of lemonade in the warm months or cup of hot chocolate in the cold months, my trusty bookmark, and very good lighting!!
18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: Absolutely Hogwarts!! I'm going to be using my kids as an excuse to head to the Universal Studios version as soon as I can manage!! For a real location . . . I'm going to saw Barcelona!
19. Top Three Favorite Authors: J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, and from there it truly is a toss-up because I have so many favorites! I'll go with . . . ummmmmm . . . Jodi Picoult.
20. Three Bloggers You Want to See Featured for 20 Questions in the Future: It is so hard to narrow this one down to three!! There are so many that I love!! I guess we will go with We Be Reading, Bibliofreak, and J. Kaye's Book Blog.



Do you want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send me an e-mail (which you can find on my Blogger profile!) with your answers to the questions! Please include questions and answers together, which makes it easier for me to post, plus a photo if you want me to put a different one than your blog's profile picture. I will then e-mail you and let you know I received them and will e-mail you again on the week when you will be featured!

13 comments:

  1. Yes! Good light! I hate when you're not at home and trying to read and the light wherever you are isn't good. Or glare-y. Good point! In fact, I'm with you on the whole answer: bookmark and hot chocolate too, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barcelona?? Awesome! Which book(s) takes place there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wish is my command...or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers - I really enjoyed Wicked as well - AND - when I was filling out my answers a couple weeks ago I actually thought of using She's Come Undone for the same question.

    Thanks for the posts Rebecca - it is so great to read about other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the Irony. I bought Their Eyes Were Watching God for almost double the price than a normal book from a bookstore, I was tired of waiting for it to be available at normal price :)

    The Road was something I found difficult getting into. I tried reading it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love her choices of childhood reads. My son is even named Max because of Where The Wild Things Are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola, Tif! ;) I can't believe you never used Cliff's Notes! Did you have to read Beowolf in school?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rebecca for the opportunity!!! I really appreciate it!! (BUT, it looks like I needed to proof my stuff one more time before I sent it to you! Oops!!)

    To answer a few questions that have popped up . . .

    Barcelona came from The Shadow of the Wind and I'm thinking there were others, but it's too early and I can't remember right now!! :)

    J.T., I'm hoping to see you featured here soon! ;)

    Yep, I've read Beowulf and still have never used Cliff's Notes! I can't see that I completely understood everything though!! :)

    Thanks again Rebecca!! I love this feature and look forward to discovering more bloggers!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just seen a trailer for Cloudy with a Touch of Meatballs at the cinema today. Never heard of it before and now seen it twice today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No cliff's Notes usage?! Ever?! WOW!

    Great answers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" is pure genius! Just discovered it with my son a few months ago and adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again Rebecca!!! I am loving this feature and discovering way too many new blogs!! :) I guess I just have to resign myself to the fact that my Google Reader will never be cleared out now!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!