August 26, 2009

A-Z Wednesday: C is for Chosen and Change


Welcome to A-Z Wednesday!!

A-Z Wednesday is hosted by Vicki at Reading at the Beach.
I read her last two entries for letters A and B and decided I wanted to take part, too.
To join, here's all you have to do:
Go to your stack of books and find one whose title starts with the letter of the week.
Post:
1~ a photo of the book
2~ title and synopsis
3~ link(amazon, barnes and noble etc.)
4~ Come back here and leave your link in the comments
If you've already reviewed this book you can post the review also.
Be sure to visit other participants to see what book they have posted and leave them a comment.
(We all love comments, don't we?)
Who knows? You may find your next "favorite" book.

This Week's Letter is C.
I want to share 2 books every week, one fiction and one nonfiction if I can, since my tastes are eclectic and I know many of you who read my blog also have eclectic taste. :)

Fiction: The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
From Booklist
Taking a story “ripped from the headlines,” Williams looks inside a polygamist cult and the dangers it poses for one girl. Kyra and her father, three mothers, and 20 siblings live in an isolated community under the thumb of a prophet, who controls every aspect of his apostles’ lives. The most shocking intrusion of all comes when the prophet decrees that Kyra is to become the wife of her 60-year-old uncle. A secret patron of a local mobile library, Kyra knows there’s a world away from the compound she might escape to, but first she pins her hopes on her father’s ability to change the prophet’s mind. Instead, her family is threatened, and the stakes for her refusal to marry are raised. The clandestine relationship Kyra is having with one of the compound’s teenage boys is a romance more convenient than convincing (everyone is carefully watched except this duo, it seems). Contrivances notwithstanding, this is a heart pounder, and readers will be held, especially as the danger escalates. Williams’ portrayals of the family are sharp, but what’s most interesting about this book is how the yearnings and fears of a character so far from what most YAs know will still seem familiar and close.

Nonfiction: Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel Amen
Amazon.com Review In this age of do-it-yourself health care (heck, if the doctor only sees you for 10 minutes each visit, what other options are there?), Change Your Brain, Change Your Life fits in perfectly. Filled with "brain prescriptions" (among them cognitive exercises and nutritional advice) that are geared toward readers who've experienced anxiety, depression, impulsiveness, excessive anger or worry, and obsessive behavior, Change Your Brain, Change Your Life milks the mind-body connection for all it's worth. Written by a psychiatrist and neuroscientist who has also authored a book on attention deficit disorder, Change Your Brain contains dozens of brain scans of patients with various neurological problems, from caffeine, nicotine, and heroin addiction to manic-depression to epilepsy. These scans, often showing large gaps in neurological activity or areas of extreme overactivity, are downright frightening to look at, and Dr. Amen should know better than to resort to such scare tactics. But he should also be commended for advocating natural remedies, including deep breathing, guided imagery, meditation, self-hypnosis, and biofeedback for treating disorders that are so frequently dealt with by prescription only.

Daniel Amen, M.D.

8 comments:

  1. Rebecca~

    Posting both fiction and non-fiction is a great idea!!! Great choices for "C" too! Both look interesting.

    Thanks for joining A-Z Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all those brain scans would be scary. Heart scans and liver scans too. It's so much easier to do deleterious things to your body if you don't know the consequences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I love the fiction and nonfiction post...great idea. I love the new avitars you've made for your posts too...so neat!

    You really do a fabulous job, Rebecca...I appreciate your efforts so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun meme. That change your brain book sounds a little scary, though, I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two choices! What genius. I had a really hard time deciding what *one* book to highlight; wish I'd thought to do two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had no desire to read The Chosen, but Change Your Brain sounds very interesting. I suspect the use of pictures has a bigger impact then just words alone. I'm off to see if I can buy this one cheap right now or if I'll have to check it out from the library. I'm still waiting for the book on massage therapy that you recommended recently. YIKES! I may have to stay away from your blog. JK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for the comments!

    Daniel Amen's book is not as scary as it may sound. It is a very informative book that strives to make you a healthier human being and to help you understand why we do things the way we do them. It is a little tedious if you don't like to get too detailed, but the tedious parts can be easily skimmed over.

    Booklogged- I am getting my first massage in over a month tomorrow and another one on Saturday. I hurt so much I can't afford not to go! I need it to be able to work in the classroom. Let me know if you go and how it went.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!