August 11, 2009

NEW FEATURE: 20 Questions

20 Questions is a brand new feature that I came up with to get to know our fellow book bloggers better. The questions range from your re-reading habits to your must-have reading accessories. I have decided to post a 20 Questions post twice a week, with each post featuring a different book blogger. I am thinking of posting on Tuesday and Thursday.

My first victim, er, participant is Tasha of Heidenkind's Hideaway. Here are the 20 Questions and her answers. Be sure to leave a comment when you're finished reading them!


20 QUESTIONS



1. Last book you bought:

Mmm, the Laurentine Spy by Emily Gee and Mortal Love by Elizabeth Hand. I got them on vacation.

2. Last book you got in the mail:

Meredith Duran's Written on Your Skin

3. The first book you read over and over:

The Alligator's Song

4. Children's book every child should read:

Ummm, I really have no idea. I think I'm going to say anything by Tasha Tudor, because I grew up reading her books and my mom actually named me after her.

5. Favorite place to read:

Easy. In my backyard, on the chaise lounge.

6. A book you bought just for the cover:

Well, the last book I bought JUST for the cover was a copy of Treasure Island. I already had two copies, but I had to get this one because it was really retro and printed in the 1950s. I have a strange obsession with Treasure Island; it's the only book I own multiple editions of.

7. Scariest book ever read:

I don't remember what it was called, but it was a book of "true" ghost stories I read in third grade. And it had pictures of some of the ghosts in it! O_O Oh my gosh, so scary. I had to shut my eyes.

8. Most romantic book ever read:

Hmmmm, this is a serious toughie. Almost all my favorite books are romantic. Actually, I take that back--all of them are romantic. Period. :) I'd have to say it's a toss up between The Age of Innocence and Jane Eyre.

9. Book that changed your life in some way:

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe really made me look at my actions and how my life is motivated and controlled by fear. That is a very powerful novel. The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron also made me look at writing and creativity in a whole new way.

10. Book you've re-read the most times:

That would be a tie between The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith, Night Train to Memphis by Elizabeth Peters, The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart, or Here Comes the Sun! by Emile Loring. The Ivy Tree & Here Comes the Sun I read every year when I was in middle school and grade school; I've re-read The Vampire Diaries and Night Train to Memphis so many times I've lost count. I like to re-read them because it feels like I can re-live the time I first read them when I do. The Vampire Diaries I have to read every few years or I forget what's important in life. Like sexy vampires.

11. Book you needed the Cliff's Notes for:

Just one? Umm, I got the Cliff's Notes for A Tale of Two Cities after reading the first paragraph. I also got the Cliff's Notes for The Bell Jar when I was halfway through because I felt like it was turning me into a crazy person. And Beowulf was not going to happen for me.

12. A book you needed the dictionary for:

Usually I just ask my mom. She's a walking dictionary. Hmm, the only book I've needed a dictionary for that I can remember was an art history text about Precolumbian Art that was published in the 1950s. I can't remember the name of it though.

13. Book you like that no one else seems to:

Devlin's Luck by Patricia Bray. This was an unusual book for me to like, because there was absolutely no romance in it, but the story was told so well and I loved the main character so much I couldn't put it down! After I finished it, I went on Amazon to look at the reviews and everyone was calling it shallow and the writing amateurish. WTF? ;_; They make bunny cry. Oh, and Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer. Everyone hated that book, but I thought it was a good conclusion to the series.

14. Book you don't like that everyone else seems to love:

Hmm, there are so many. I wasn't that into Lords of the Underworld. Scandal by Carolyn Jewel and The Bride Price by Anne Mallory are another two.

15. Number of books you own (you can guess):

Maybe around 800? I don't think I've broken the 1000 mark yet.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet):

It's endless. I don't keep track of it, but the difference in the number of books I want to read versus the number I actually read is pretty large.

17. Must-have reading accessories:

A great bookmark, something to drink, and a cuddly pet (also good for romantic movies.) Oh, and some sort of light source. :D

18. Literary Destination you want to go to:

Ha! Practically every place I want to go to I read about in a book. I would love to visit Tintagel, which is in a lot of the Arthurian books I read; Greece, which I've been reading about since I was little in Mary Stewart's novels; and Castle Dracula. Also Stratford-upon-Avon, just because Shakespeare was from there.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors:

L.J. Smith, Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels/Barbara Mertz, and Lisa Kleypas

20. Three Bloggers you want to see participate in this feature:

My Friend Amy, Bookalicio.us Pam, and Jenners (Find Your Next Book Here)



The picture of the number 20 was found here. If you would like to help me out by making a graphic for this Lost in Books feature, please let me know. I am Photoshop illiterate no matter how much Beth Fish Reads tries to teach me.

27 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Count me in if you need anymore 'victims'. lol I can't help you the graphics, I am afraid... I need help with that all the time myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great feature, Rebecca! And it's so nice to get to know you, Tasha. Sexy vampires are important in life. ;) I am also a huge Mary Stewart fan. I don't know how many times I've re-read NINE COACHES WAITING and MADAM, WILL YOU TALK? I long to go to Greece as well. It's next on my list of places to get to. And if you plan a trip to Tintagel, could you pack me in your suitcase? I would love to go there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a feature! I love getting to know other bloggers better!

    I just read the Vampire Diaries for the first time (except the 5 book), and I loved it! I can see why it's a favorite and I would definitely look for more books by L.J. Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cool feature. i'd love to participate! even if you don't want to pick me, i may answer these on my blog anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am planning on having as many book bloggers participate as there are book bloggers! Marie, Kailana you should definitely e-mail me about it. That goes for anyone else who would like to participate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for asking me be the first victim *cough* participant, Rebecca! 'Tis an honor. Actually, one of your questions gave me an idea for a blog entry.

    Angiegirl~Yes, Nine Coaches Waiting was great! Soooo romantic. Sexy sexy Raoul. ;) And if I do go Tintagel, of course you can come along in my suitcase--you do weigh thirty pounds or less, right?

    Kay~You should join Amy's LJ Smith challenge so you can watch the TV series premier with the rest of us LJS lovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a really fun feature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that a cuddly pet is a must have reading accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sexy vampires are very important in life:)

    I heart Tasha Tudor as well!

    Very cool post!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea Rebecca! And you picked an excellent first participant. Put me down for the victim list any time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful feature, Rebecca! Tasha, I've re-read Night Train to Memphis so many times - Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels is one of my favorite authors (didn't know about the Mertz pseudonym and will be running right to the library's site to check out what I've missed). My favorite book of hers is probably Devil May Care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea!
    (Oh, Tintagel - definitely. A friend visited and said it was an amazing, deep experience.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent addition to your schedule! Looking at these questions I think I'd have a hard time answering them. My memory isn't the longest so I think I would struggle with some.

    I'm with heidenkind my TBR list continues to grow and grow. It would scare me to count it all down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terrific interview -- I thoroughly enjoyed it. I really like this feature!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It almost seems silly to add my two cents but I think this is a wonderful feature,too. Way to go, Rebecca; bringing us all together and helping us to know each other better.

    Thoroughly enjoyed reading Tasha's responses to your great selection of questions. I'm now heading over to Tasha's blog to introduce myself and hopefully make a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea. I like to read these things to find out about other bloggers -- it is amazing the variety of reading habits and tastes that people have!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great idea, and she reads many different books than I do. I'm going to have to check some of these out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great idea! I like reading about other bookbloggers; it's through these that we get to learn something more about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun!! What a great idea. I love reading about other bloggers. Especially when they answer questios like this. Gives you a little insight into who they really are!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great feature! I'd like to participate too, even though I don't think I'd be able to answer many of them! :--) But it definitely makes you think of things to notice more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea!! I would love to participate as well at some point in time in the future!!

    Tasha, I actually liked Breaking Dawn too!! I thought it was a nice wrap-up that made sense to me! You are the first I've heard agree with me though!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful idea - I love to learn more about the bloggers whose blogs I read!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great series! I'd love to participate, but I don't know your e-mail address. So, here's mine instead :-)

    aarti.nagaraju at gmail dot com.

    I'm off to check out Tasha's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool! I love this and the questions are good ... but challenging too. I was kind of thinking along as I read her answers and some would require some more thought.

    And I'm touched she would be interested in what I would have to say! I'd love to do this for you when I have a bit more time and I'm not so sick!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!