August 20, 2009

Essay #5- The Sentence is a Lonely Place

ESSAY #5- The Sentence is a Lonely Place by Gary Lutz
YOU CAN READ IT- here
DATE READ- August 19, 2009
RATING- 5 Stars
QUOTE- "The words on the page seemed to have little utility other than as mere prompts or often misleading cues for the sluggard sounds we were expected to produce. The words on the page did not seem to have solid enough a presence to exist independently of the sounds. I had no sense that a book read in silence and in private could offer me something."


I was reading through the essay links on Carrie's challenge post and saw this one that she had read so I clicked on the link she gave to read it online. Once I read the first sentence, I could not stop reading it. It was that good. When I was done, I went back and read Carrie's review and I could not agree with her more- I want to read and write and read and write some more! Go read it!

Carrie's Review of the Essay on Books and Movies

2 comments:

  1. I love this essay! I even love the picture at the beginning! I printed it out to reread, it's so good. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful, isn't it? Glad you loved it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!