July 1, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog.

My words this week come from The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver. In addition to a few new general words, this book is also packed with medical and criminology terminology. Well, it is. Ahem.

1. quiescent: being at rest; quiet; still; inactive, motionless
2. crinoline: in this context, the petticoat of stiff material worn under a full skirt to create a hoop skirt
3. sphygmomanometer: an instrument, often attached to an inflatable air-bladder cuff and used with a stethoscope, for measuring blood pressure in an artery.
4. chromatograph-spectometer: forensic instrument that helps separate and determine the individual elements and molecules in a sample.
5. Clinitron: (from the Hill-Rom website) The Clinitron® II Air Fluidized Therapy provides greater comfort and accelerated healing of wounds and skin disorders. The system can be defluidized to facilitate patient positioning during pulmonary care.

5 comments:

  1. Since I have hypertension, I've had a sphygmomanometer used on me lots of time and I never knew what it was called! Thanks for participating today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I always wanted to wear crinolines and big hoop skirts! I don't know if it was the influence of Gone With the Wind or a variation on the princess theme or both! Fortunately, I lost the urge quite a while ago! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no way in a million years I would remember some of these words. I would have to look them up each and every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always liked quiescent it just sounds peaceful. The others sound like you are reading a technical science manual!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!