July 26, 2009

TSS: Book Covers I Love

It is just after midnight on Sunday morning here and I have had a long day. Six months ago yesterday we lost my father. So today I wanted to keep my posts light and fun and beautiful. And these covers do just that. Book covers to me are so important. When I am browsing in a store, good cover art that catches my eye will make me pick up and look at a book I may have never noticed before. So while it's what is on the inside that counts, the outside is what gets noticed. :)










In the Sanctuary of Outcasts: A Memoir by Neil White
Why I Like It: I love paths. Paths lead somewhere new, somewhere exciting, somewhere different, to different people and different experiences. Paths rock.









Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Julie Metz
Why I Like It: Simple, beautiful, I like the contrast and I like the curly "f".









The Concubine's Daughter: A Novel by Pai Kit Fai
Why I Like It: Eye-catching colors, mysterious feel.









Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie
Why I Like It: Simple, seductive, mysterious feel.







Valeria's Last Stand by Marc Fitten
Why I Like It: It's simple, yet the font is beautiful.









A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Why I Like It: I have noticed I have an affinity for people turned around. Mysterious feel.








The Belly Dancer by DeAnna Cameron
Why I Like It: Beautiful movement, colors.








Ghostly Ruins: America's Forgotten Architecture by Harry Skrdla
Why I Like It: Love the angle of the photograph.









Rooftops of Tehran: A Novel by Mahbod Seraji
Why I Like It: I love the color and mood of the cover.








A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
Why I Like It: Mysterious feel, simple.









A Disobedient Girl: A Novel by Ru Freeman
Why I Like It: I think backs turned to you are mysterious. I want to find out what they are hiding.








Teasing Secrets from the Dead: My Investigation at America's Most Infamous Crime Scenes by Emily Craig
Why I Like It: Just great placement of the skull and bones. Great balance between the picture and the title.









Song of the Cuckoo Bird: A Novel by Amulya Malladi
Why I Like It: A path, a mysterious feel.

So did you notice a theme? Ahem.

11 comments:

  1. These are beautiful covers. You really picked well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those covers, too - Perfection in particular is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of those are gorgeous. I like Rooftops of Tehran and Disobedient Girl. Did you notice a lot of these show women from behind? Seems to be a thematic thing in book covers lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cover trend that I like is the headless or faceless girl where you only see a photo of the torso. I think I like it because the reader can put herself in the place of the heroine or imagine what she looks like without an image being given to her by the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful selection of covers! By the way, you probably know this but the author of Perfection did the cover design herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you picked some great covers and I feel drawn to each one of them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've picked some great covers there! I look forward to reading Rooftops of Tehran and Burnt Shadows as I've these two books in my pile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was interesting to see your collection of covers here, and why you liked them. They all had something intriguing, a mystery luring us to look inside and see just why there's a pathway, or a glance over the shoulder. The two that would call most to me from covers alone are Song of the Cuckoo Bird, and A Single Shard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea for a topic for the TSS, Rebecca! I love The Concubine's Daughter and Rooftops of Tehran books, too.

    I've kind of become immune to covers over the years. Not that I don't glom onto gorgeous covers, but there are some pretty awful covers out there (especially in romance novels). I try to ignore them and enjoy the book anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great collection of covers, Rebecca, and I'm honored that you included THE BELLY DANCER!

    DeAnna Cameron
    Author of THE BELLY DANCER

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. I lost my father unexpectedly a little over two years ago. As I'm sure you know, there's good days and there's bad days. In my experience, after about a year, you start having more and more good days, though there will always be bad days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!