July 14, 2009

Take a Chance with a Lit Riffs Challenge

The Take a Chance Challenge is hosted by Jenners at Find Your Next Book Here. Here is my challenge post.

This post is for challenge #8, which is:

8. Lit Riff (inspired by the book Lit Riffs by Matthew Miele.) Choose a song and then write a brief story that is inspired by or further explains the lyrics of the song.

I chose one of my favorite songs, Let it Be by The Beatles. I have included a link to You Tube that plays the song and shows the lyrics. Then I wrote a story about my father based off of the song lyrics. I don't know if it's any good, but here it is. This post and story is dedicated in memory of him.


The Song and Lyrics on YouTube


The Story

I don't feel any light shining on me, but feel a cloud of darkness hanging over my head. I grab a stack of photos from the nightstand and curl up in a ball on my bed. I leaf through them picture by picture: my dad holding me for the first time; me as a toddler with my dad experiencing the ocean for the first time; my dad and I on my sixth birthday; the family at Disney World when I was 12; my dad and I hanging out on the Blue Ridge Parkway the summer before I left for college; a picture of him on his last birthday.

The tears come and I feel so broken-hearted. I put down the photographs and reach for my rosary. I have not often felt God the Father or Mother Mary's comfort in the last year, and particularly not since January. But I know that the Catholic faith says that in times of trouble you should look to God and you should beseech Mother Mary. So I pick up my rosary and I begin to pray- "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee."

I instantly feel a calm come over me- a calm I have not felt in a very, very long time. I keep praying, "Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus." I sniff, but stop crying. "Holy Mary, Mother of God..." I feel the strange sensation of being wrapped in a warm blanket. "...pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen." I begin the prayer again on the next bead of the rosary. With each prayer I feel calmer. I can almost hear Mother Mary speaking words of wisdom to me. I hear her saying "Let it be. There will be an answer to all of this in the end. Let it be."

I know that while it does not make sense to me why my father had to get cancer, why it had to be fast-growing, or why he had to be taken away while he was still fairly young, I feel like Mother Mary came to me in an hour of darkness and shined a light on me. She let me know that even though my father and I may be parted, one day there will be an answer and I will see. I cannot understand it now. Even though I will miss my dad for the rest of my life, I have to learn that the mysterious will be answered one day. And for now I have to learn somehow to let it be.

Since this time, whenever the night is cloudy and I have an hour of darkness, I call to Mother Mary and ask her to whisper words of motherly wisdom to me. She tells me, "Let it be, let it be, let it be, daughter, let it be. There will be an answer, let it be."


We miss you.
March 1941- January 2009

13 comments:

  1. What a brave and beautiful post, Rebecca; it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm glad to hear that prayer has brought you some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father died four years ago, also of cancer and truthfully, I still miss him so much everyday!
    Thank you for your beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,
    I wish I could give you a hug right now!! Such beautiful and honest words....touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Rebecca. I think you took the lyrics to the song and added your personal touch to them in a perfect way. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really sweet. It made me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. It was hard to write, but cathartic at the same time. Thanks for letting me talk about him here and not rolling your eyes about how much I do! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it! I have trouble posting anything so personal but I love that you do it. And this was a great use of that song. I could hear the melody while I read your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was beautiful. I got a little teary while reading it ... especially when I saw the photo. I hope that you are finding some peace ... this cannot be easy. Thank you for being brave and sharing this. I know it probably wasn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really beautiful. This touches me personally since I miss my dad so much too. Wonderfully written. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful and moving. Such a beautiful tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful way to honor your father's memory. I'm sure I'll think of you when I next hear "Let It Be." May you have peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss, that is a great song though--so full of emotion. If you want to read my story It’s here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!