July 8, 2009

My Month in Music- June/July

I love music and movies almost as much as I love books, so I have added two new monthly features to the blog. One is My Month in Movies and the second one is My Month in Music.

Like my taste in books and in movies, my taste in music is eclectic as well. I listen to everything save screaming into the mike. So you could find me listening to Miles Davis as easily as you could find me listening to Linkin Park.

Here is what I have been listening to a lot in the past month. You will find a link to a video on You Tube with each.


I have been listening to a lot of MJ this month. I will share just my favorite MJ song of all time, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough. I can't not dance to this song. R.I.P. MJ




I am not a die-hard Bruce Springsteen, but a couple of his songs I really love. One is The Streets of Philadelphia. I heard it for the first time at the beginning of the movie Philadelphia with Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington. I liked it so much, I went back and listened to it again before watching the movie! (P.S. the movie rocks as well if you have not seen it.)



Another song I have been listening to a lot is also from a movie. Counting Crows' song Colorblind, which is from the movie Cruel Intentions. I love the piano and I love his voice. Please note that the video has a sex scene in it. No nudity, though. I love that this song is about releasing your heart to another. It is beautiful.


I have been reading Tupac's book of poetry The Rose That Grew From Concrete (review coming soon) and so I am listening a lot to his music now, too. I love Tupac and he was a big part of my high school days. It is unfortunate that his life was cut short. I remember he was killed around the time a guy from my hs was killed in much the same way. Here is his video for Changes.


I've also been listening to the song The House of the Rising Sun by The Animals. My dad and I both loved this song. When it would come on the radio when we were together we'd be singing loud and have so much fun. He also loved Bob Seger's Old Time Rock n Roll. He would play it on the piano and sing it at the top of his lungs. My sisters and I would dance and dance. The song kept coming on the radio for 2 months after he died. We finally forced ourselves to listen to it. Then we did not hear it on the radio anymore. Like my dad was speaking to us. The song still chokes me up. I miss my dad but at least there are ways to remember him fondly.


I'm also loving Beyonce's song Halo. Beautiful song and lyrics. And it doesn't hurt that Michael Ealy is in the video. He has the most beautiful eyes! I've loved his eyes since I first watched him in Sleeper Cell. This is a beautiful love song about an unexpected love that sweeps you off your feet.



Lastly, someone introduced me to the all-female group Bond who are wonderful instrumentalists. Here they play Gypsy Rhapsody. I practice belly dancing to this. What a workout!




Are you on You Tube? You can link up to me here.

What have you been listening to this month? Leave it in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. Rebecca - I just LOVE colorblind. (It is so fitting for the scene in Cruel Intentions). Haunting.

    If you can believe it - I was just leaving a comment on Amanda's blog about Bond for her Ink Notes Challenge. They are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you pick just one MJ song?? I would have to say "Man In The Mirror" is mine followed by (but this is more Jackson 5 stuff) "ABC" and "Blame it on the Boogie".

    Halo is beautiful, like you said lovely lyrics too. I dont think there is a Beyonce song I dont like oh wait maybe that one where she was dancing like a crazy woman in the grass...Deja Vu yea thats the one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your taste in music, Rebecca!

    My favorite MJ song at the moment is The Way You Make Me Feel.

    Colorblind is a great song, I remember it well from Cruel Intentions(and I remember crying a lot when I watched the movie :)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember listening to "Man in the Mirror" on a cassette, rewinding it so many times that it was ruined :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new Beyonce. I, too, have been listening to Michael. I picked up what I didn't already own off of iTunes and I've been "hee-hee'ng" all over the place.

    Hope all is going well with you.

    If I've dropped off your reader, I have a new feed for ANM.

    Have a good one.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently listening to:
    Vanessa Williams new CD - "The Real Thing" - really very very nice, a blend of jazz and latin that all blends and flows well together. Love playing while I am reading.

    Teena Marie's new CD - Congo Square - still has the strong voice as when she was younger - a variety of other singers join her on a number of songs - Enjoying this one as I drive and/or walking

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kerri: Colorblind is definitely a great song. How funny you were talking about Bond. I don't know how popular they are, but I like them.

    Caspette: Oh I like lots of MJ songs, but figured everyone had had enough MJ lately from the news. I saw part of the memorial- some good, some strange. My other fave MJ songs are Man in the Mirror, The Way You Make Me Feel, You Are Not Alone, Smooth Criminal, and Who Is It.

    Ladybug: Man in the Mirror is a great song. I heard it had something to do with not wanting to look like or act like his father. Apparently another reason he kept getting rhinoplasty.

    Sheri: I think I have your new feed on my reader, but I have been slack about the GR lately and when I am on it I have been doing some lurking. It's terrible I know. I will get back into it. Stuff has just been crazy around here lately. Thanks for coming by and noticing I have been MIA. I will return, I promise! :)

    Beverly: Thanks for sharing those, Beverly. I have not listened to either. I had no idea Vanessa Williams had come out with a new CD. I will check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've also been listening to a lot of Bob Seger. He's the perfect person to listen to in the middle of the summer, imo. And Beyonce's Halo is a great song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. heidenkind- I think so, too. Bob Seger, Jimi Hendrix, KC & the Sunshine Band, and one other that totally slipped my mind as soon as I started to type the name...I'm becoming my mother, I swear. Anyway, there are all favorite summer listens for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Sara

    http://pianotutorial.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!