July 7, 2009

Monday Movie Meme: Say What?


This week's movie topic is all about Subtitles...

Carleen @ Life, Liberty & Good Coffee recently suggested the topic of subtitles. We aim to please here at the Monday Movie Meme so here you go Carleen! We don't watch a lot of foreign films. Part of the reason is that Molly grew up with a Dad who liked to read the words on the screen out loud which got old really fast. But the bigger reason is that it takes a while to adjust to skimming the words while trying not to miss out on any of the images - so maybe having Dad narrate wasn't such a bad idea after all. It makes watching movies feel like work sometimes, but of the few we have seen, they have been worth the effort. Share some of the subtitles worth reading on your blog and link back here at The Bumbles. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!


Movie: Life is Beautiful

Country: Italy

Language: Italian, German, & English


Movie: Water

Country: Canada

Language: Hindi

Movie: Amelie (one of my favorite movies period)

Country: France

Language: French


Movie: A Very Long Engagement

Country: France

Language: France

Movie: Lust, Caution

Country: China

Language: Chinese


Movie: City of God

Country: Brazil

Language: Portuguese

Movie: The Orphanage

Country: Mexico

Language: Spanish


Movie: The Motorcycle Diaries

Country: Brazil

Language: Spanish

More Posts for Monday Movie Meme: Say What?

Musings of a Bookish Kitty

The Narrative Causality

The Road Goes Ever Ever On

Talent in Borders

(For more participants, please visit The Bumbles blog.)

5 comments:

  1. Great list, Rebecca! I really want to see Water. I've heard it's really good. City of God was a good one. I'd forgotten about it. I haven't see The Orphanage but it's one I do want to see eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. City of God is probably one of my most favourite films ever. It's so graphic and unforgettable. I love Amelie and A Very Long Engagement, too. Still need to watch The Motorcycle Diaries, but I've read the book. :) Life is Beautiful is so heartbreaking.

    Have you seen Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino? Those are two of my top three favourite foreign films of all-time (the other is CIty of God). They're soooo wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lit Feline- Oh, you should definitely see Water. I recommend it. I really liked it. I enjoyed The Orphanage. It reminded me in terms of " a scary factor" to The Others with Nicole Kidman, which is one of my favorite movies. I don't really watch these kind of movies often, as I am jumpier than a cricket, but these are 2 I really liked.

    Claire- I haven't seen those 2 movies. I will add them to my Netflix queue. Obviously, we have similar taste in movies so there is a very good chance I will love those, too! I haven't read Motorcycle Diaries, just watched the film. I'd be interested to see how they compare. The guy that plays Che is cute. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent list! Those were all movies I loved with the exception of Water, but only because I haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. City of God is one that I still really want to see but haven't yet. It sounds like a great film.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!