July 9, 2009

BTT: Unread Books


An idea I got from The Toddled Dredge (via K for Kat). Here’s what she said:

“So here today I present to you an Unread Books Challenge. Give me the list or take a picture of all the books you have stacked on your bedside table, hidden under the bed or standing in your shelf – the books you have not read, but keep meaning to. The books that begin to weigh on your mind. The books that make you cover your ears in conversation and say, ‘No! Don’t give me another book to read! I can’t finish the ones I have!’"


Oh my god. That would be too many to photograph or list myself. I do have too many books which is why I now have an announcement in my sidebar that I can't accept anymore ARC's right now! But I will list 20 books that I own and keep meaning to get to but do not ever seem to. It's not that I don't want to read them, but that there's always something else to read, too! A couple of these are on my challenge lists and hopefully I will finally get to this year.

FICTION
1. Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
2. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
3. The Illuminated Soul by Aryeh Lev Stolman
4. House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubas III
5. The Birth of Venus by Sarah Durant
6. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
7. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
8. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
9. The Story of My Disappearance by Paul Watkins
10. Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
11. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
12. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

NON-FICTION
13. The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama (seriously have had this since he became the Democrat nominee and never have finished it)
14. Beyond Chaos by Gregg Pilburn
15. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
16. Into the Mummy's Tomb (Ancient mystery and terror unearthed by the world's greatest writers) edited by John Richard Stephens
17. Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions by Gloria Steinem
18. Adult ADD The Complete Handbook by David Sudderth, M.D. and Joseph Kandel, M.D.
19. Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel Amen (can't even pick up because my dad bought it for himself in order to help him understand my ADD. Too sad right now.)
20. The Catechism of the Catholic Church (yeah...)

12 comments:

  1. You have some great books listed! You MUST read The Kite Runner! That is one amazing story! I also have The Audacity of Hope and haven't finished it either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prodigal Summer is a favorite of mine. I've only ever received a few ARC's but still have a two tall stacks by my bed of too-be-read's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Middlesex and Three Cups of Tea have been on my shelf for a while too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a lot of titles I own but haven't read yet either on your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I've been wanting to read "House of Sand and Fog" forever, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebecca,

    I've finally admitted to myself that there are some of my TBR pile that I will NEVER get around to reading. Let's face it, some books are just easier to read; they're more interesting at the moment, or are mind candy, or just fill a craving. Some of the books I have - I just can't make myself read them. Maybe I'll hold a contest for them, or just give them away....

    (nice list, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a book buying ban in place until tonight. I am going to go on Amazon and order some books shortly (this is going to happen so I am admitting up front I am falling off the wagon). Choosing the "next" read is always hard.

    I have heard the Kite Runner is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so many waiting. Wuthering Heights is definitely worth the read, though.
    You'll find mine here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got all my "must reads" out of the way ... but I limit what ones I accept for review as I don't like that pressure!!!

    And "House of Sand & Fog" is fantastic! I think you'll love it. Good movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa: The Audacity of Hope is one of those books that I know I should have finished before November, yet probably won't finish by this November. *sigh* I have seen the movie The Kite Runner, which rocks, and read A Thousand Splendid Suns, which rocked, so I am looking forward to fitting the book in, too.

    Bermudaonion: Some people are addicted to crack, books are my crack. Hey, it's a lot healthier habit. Let's look on the bright side. :P

    Peacefull: Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible is one of my fave books and Animal, Veg, Miracle was good also. I am looking forward to reading this one. Hopefully sooner as opposed to later.

    Melissa: It's like I want to read them, but there they sit. It's ridiculous. Too many other books I want to read, too, I suppose!

    Staci: We need to make a challenge next year to read all these books we keep passing over all the time!

    Kay: I keep wanting to read the book before I see the movie. I wonder if I will ever get to either! lol

    Mardel: This is true. There are 3 that I wonder about that sometimes. I did not even put them on the list.

    Caspette: I have been on a buying ban since January myself. I just fell off the wagon, too! I am blaming it on the amount of stress in my life right now and to the fact that they were such good deals it would have been absurd to pass it up, right? Right?

    Anthony North: Wuthering Heights is definitely one of those I really have to read but never ends up grabbing my attention. I don't want to read it just because I feel like I should (although there is a little bit of that going on). I also want to read it because it sounds really good. Alas, still haven't picked it up.

    Jenners: I need to take some lessons from you. I am way backlogged on my reading. Books I've had forever, ARCS, you name it. Next year I won't sign up for so many challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wuthering Heights sucks! seriously, leave it for later. I can recommend The Audacity of Hope though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!