July 22, 2009

The Attraction Distraction by Sonia M. Miller

BOOK #: 59
REASONS READ: ARC given to me for review from Paula Krapf of AME; also added it to the New Authors Challenge
PUBLISHER: Alma Publishing, Inc.
GENRE: Nonfiction/Philosophy
RATING: 4 Stars


What Caught My Attention: The layout of the book. Throughout the chapters the text is broken down into segments with bold headers and sometimes even lists and graphs. An ADD reader's dream come true! :)

What I Liked: This book had fabulous and poignant quotes related to the topics discussed. I also liked some of the questions asked such as, "Which areas of your life are HONEST expressions of who you really are?" I mean, think about that for a minute. Are you truly being yourself?

I also enjoyed the chapter entitled 'Techniques for Letting Go'. I don't hold grudges, but I do hold on to past experiences and people in my past to a certain degree. It helped a lot with holding on to my father and also to negative experiences associated with traumatic experiences in my past. I also liked the chapter 'Harnessing Your Emotions'. I am a pretty sensitive, empathetic person and my emotions are right on the surface. This chapter helped me to examine how to use my passionate nature and the myths surrounding the expression of emotions and guided me to a new way of thinking about this personality feature and how I can harness the energy from my emotions, which are so readily availble, and to get out of my own way so I can grow.


What I Didn't Like: I did not realize for some reason going in that this was a very spiritually-focused book. Not religious, just spiritual. The Law of Attraction works within a spiritual dimension. I am spiritual, but I think that readers need to know this about the book going in, in case they missed that memo like I did. :)

I don't like that the book lays out a claim "how you will get results- finally". It is misleading I think to the average person out there in the bookstores. This is not a quick fix method, just a book of guidance and a thought-provoking read.


Who Might Find This Book Interesting: Anyone who is interested in the Law of Attraction, alternative philosophies, or metaphysics. People who need help in making goals for self-development purposes, especially in spiritual development.

Here is a link to purchase a copy on Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a great book. I am pro Law of Attraction...big believer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!