June 24, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by the lovely Bermudaonion of Bermudaonion's Weblog.

I have been remiss about getting a WWW post up for weeks. For a while I did not have any words, and then last week I just completely forgot. I was thinking about a million other things, I suppose. But enough with excuses!

Here are my list of words I have found in my recent reading that were unfamiliar to me. It is always great to learn new words and broaden the mind.

words from Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

1. intransigence (pg. 86) means refusing to agree or compromise

2. demijohn (pg. 90) is a long bottle having a short, narrow neck, and usually encased in wickerwork.

words from The Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver
1. sphincter (pg. 43) is a circular band of voluntary or involuntary muscle that encircles an orifice of the body or one of its hollow organs and maintains the constriction of the orifice or body passage.

2. birefringence (pg. 80) is the property or capacity of splitting a beam of light into two beams, each refracted at a different angle, and each polarized at a right angle to the other. Certain crystals such as calcite and quartz as well as seashore sand have this property. It was used in the book as part of the crime scene investigation with a polarizing microscope.

3. individuation (pg. 80) was explained in the book like this: "Individuation...The goal of the criminalist. Most physical evidence can be identified. But even if you know what it is there are usually hundreds or thousands of sources it might have come from. Individuated evidence is something that could have come from only one source or a very limited number of sources. A fingerprint, a DNA profile, a paint chip that fits into a missing spot on the perp's car like a jigsaw-puzzle piece."

I think individuation was my favorite word this week. Very cool.

2 comments:

  1. You found some great words. I would have guessed demijohn wrong since demi means half in French. Thanks for participating today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like birefringence. There's a word you don't hear everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!