June 21, 2009

TSS: Father's Day


Today is Father's Day. I am out of town with my mother and my older sister trying to forget this day, if that's possible. I am writing this post early.

For those of you who don't know, my dad died of cancer on January 25th, so this is my first Father's Day without, well, a father to celebrate it with. The firsts are always the hardest. His birthday was hard, too, but it was so soon after that we were all still pretty numb. It's June now and reality has set in and we aren't numb anymore. So, that is why it is such a big deal to me to keep myself preoccupied on this day.

I thought it would be cathartic to share with you a few similarities that my dad and I shared in common. The last one is about reading if you just want to skip to that.

~We both loved nature shows. I remember sitting with him all curled up on the couch watching them as a kid. It was our Saturday night ritual, just the two of us.

~We both liked swimming. He went every single chance he got. We were both fish in the summer. I love the water. Going back to the pool he went to is too hard right now so we are trying to find a new one to go to. Hopefully we find it soon, because I want to be swimming in the summer!

~We both liked to snow ski. We went several times when I was a teenager. Then I hurt my back and couldn't go anymore and then he hurt his. But it was so much fun. These trips were just the two of us because my mom couldn't ski anymore and my sisters weren't especially athletic.

~We also were the only 2 in our family to like rollercoasters. My mom and sisters would chill below while we rode Space Mountain and Thunder Road and the Goldrusher or whatever it was called when I was first riding them. I'll never forget the sad look in his eyes when he said 'That one at the beach. That was our last rollercoaster.' It broke my heart.

~We both liked taking walks and we had some of our best talks while walking down trails and in neighborhoods. He told me all kinds of stories from the Navy and from his days as a bachelor. I told him stories about college and friends and boyfriends.

~We both liked to read. I remember him reading the newspaper one time when I was four or so and I sat with him and pretended to read it with him. Sometimes he'd read a headline or something to me. He loved westerns and especially Louis L'Amour. I read a Louis L'Amour book in January before he died just to share it with him. I don't know what he thought other than he smiled. It was about all he could muster at the time. I know he would have thought this blog was "neat" and would have read it every day. He would have probably said something about how good a writer I am, because he always did. He said I had a way with words he never had. That meant a lot to me. I told him he had a way with logic I never had. He'd laugh and say something witty back.


Thanks for letting me share a bit of my dad with you. I hope you have a fun Father's Day and please let your father know you appreciate him if you do. Really you should do this for anyone you care about. Life's too short to waste it not communicating. I will see you on Monday. I have a bunch of books to show you for Mailbox Monday! Yay!

18 comments:

  1. Bless you. I do know how hard this day can be. I lost my dad 10 years ago (which seems insane), also to cancer, and I still cringe a little when these days roll around. I'm so sorry for your pain at this time, and know that your pain is a reflection of your love for your dad. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely that you have so many good memories of things you shared with your dad to keep in your heart. I am sorry for your loss and only hope that time helps to stop the hurt and remember the love. I hope you and your mum have an easy day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this heartfelt post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sympathies, Rebecca. I'm glad you took the time to write up all those memories. They were lovely to read and I hope they ended up being the catharsis you hoped for.

    Good luck today. I hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize that you lost your father this year. I'm sure today will be very difficult for you, but what a wonderful tribute to him you wrote. It sounds like he was a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What nice memories to have. I lost my father to cancer too. Thank you for sharing this with us, I know it took emotional courage, and is a good reminder to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is stories like this that make me more appreciative of the little time I have with not only my father, but all of my loved ones. Thank you for sharing your story and I hope that you day has at least a bit of happiness to it. I am sure he would have wanted it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was wonderful to read these positive memories of your father. I had a rough childhood with mine but decided at a point just to let go of all the bad and focus on the good things in our relationship now. I hope that you know how lucky you were even with the short time you had with your loving father.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing that with us and for the reminder. {{{Hugs!}}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the wonderful post. I lost my father many years ago and wish I'd done something like this. I hope the day sees you well. Keep remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely and touching post. It brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss ... I can only imagine. I dread having to face this myself some day. I'm glad you have so many good memories to keep you company. I'm sure you made him very proud. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this post with us, Rebecca. I lost my mom to cancer three years ago, so I can totally understand how you're feeling when you mentioned about the special occasions and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rebecca,
    I could feel the love you have for your dad from these beautiful words. Thank you for sharing these special moments in your life with us today. Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post and tribute to your father!

    I hope you had a nice day, Rebecca. I know it can't be easy, especially on a day dedicated to father's. My thoughts are with you.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're blessed to have shared so much with your dad. Definitely have me thinking not to waste time with mine. Hoping in time you can get through dates with less pain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. I deeply appreciate them. We had a pretty decent weekend. We sufficiently distracted ourselves I think. Thanks so much for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm having to mark a lot of comments read since I got back from vacation, but I saw this and wanted to comment that it was a lovely remembrance of your dad. I haven't talked to mine in 2 years. Its lovely to read about the "good" ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!