June 16, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays - Love in the Time of Cholera



This week's teaser is from Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez:
"To him she seemed so beautiful, so seductive, so different from ordinary people, that he could not understand why no one was as disturbed as he by the clicking of her heels on the paving stones, why no one else's heart was wild with the breeze stirred by the sighs of her veils, why everyone did not go mad with the movements of her braid, the flight of her hands, the gold of her laughter. He had not missed a single one of her gestures, not one of the indications of her character, but he did not dare approach her for fear of destroying the spell."

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful sentences. Unfortunately this is one of those books that I was never able to get into. I might have to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read this or anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but am definitely adding this book to my reading stack - such seductive writing.

    I just discovered your blog - the photograph for Lost In Books is beautiful, and I enjoyed your bio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quote, but I never did finish the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, l'amour. :) Did you ever see the movie? I thought it was pretty terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole: It is a little choppy, I have to say. But the language is beautiful. I imagine it is not a read for everyone and the enjoyment would have a lot to do with the state of mind you're in. I might not have enjoyed it a couple of months ago.

    Cathryn: Thank you, Cathryn! I am so glad you like the blog. I can't take credit for the photo, but it is awesome, right? I love it. It is just like me.

    Beth: I wonder if I will. I am about a third of the way through. I am curious about how the girl gets together with a different man than this one.

    heidenkind: I have not seen the movie, but thanks for the warning. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful writing but I was just not able to continue reading this book when I tried. I know a lot of people have liked it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gonna be a parrot here....Wow beautiful quote.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!