June 20, 2009

Saturday Review: Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch

BOOK #: 47
CHALLENGES: Take a Chance Challenge, New Authors Challenge
RATING: 3.5 Stars

This review will look a little different because I am going to be using the #9 challenge from the Take a Chance Challenge to write this review. It states:

9. Poetic Review. Write a book review in three different forms of verse: haiku, limerick and free verse.

So, hopefully this doesn't suck as much as I think it does. :)

LIMERICK REVIEW:
Sarah Walters went to Charleston Cotillion
But she thought that her life wasn't fillin'
So she dated around
But she finally found
That she was the 'one in a million'.

HAIKU REVIEW:
Katie Crouch's debut book
Hasn't left me with desire
To read her again

FREE VERSE REVIEW:
Searching and longing
She is a hollow shell
Eloise always was the prize
How could she compete?
A drifter, living an existence of
Bad boys and bad decisions
She plays a game, a part
But she is empty inside
No one can know her truly
Because she doesn't even know herself
It is clear that even rebellion
Can't make her leave behind
Her Southern roots
And she can't escape
Those damn Camillas

I hope you enjoyed my poetic review. I thought Girls in Trucks was an okay read, but did not leave me with the feeling that Sarah's issues were completely resolved, nor did it leave me with a comfortable questioning. I felt more a lack of substance. The characters are not well-developed so I think Crouch should work on that for her next novel. I did think it dealt with some important issues, however, including self-acceptance, death and grief, and marriage vs. singledom. Overall, not a bad read, but not one that grabbed me by the heartstrings or the mind. On a side note, this book would qualify if you are looking for a book for the Southern Reading Challenge that I have seen around, as it is set primarily in Charleston, S.C.


Other Reviews of Girls in Trucks:

21 comments:

  1. That was a really fun review! :D
    I've read this one too and was left quite disappointed. At least the writing wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love the poems, especially the freeform one. I'm impressed with the rhyming of "cotillion" though!

    This is one I've seen around a lot and am just not interested in reading. Mostly I've seen it around on giveaways though, and I think this is the first review I've read. I'm glad to know I'm not really missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun!!!! Loved your poetic reviews. I won this book last month and plan to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poems are fab. What a fun way to review a book. I have just got this one from the library to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poetic reviews are awesome! I'd never be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done very well, I enjoyed reading these, and it's not as easy as it looks. Well, you make it look easy.

    Great fun!

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this challenge! How clever. I esp. enjoyed the limerick. Maybe because I am just a sucker for a funny one haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poetry is great. Much much better than the book. I agree with your review whole heartedly. It left me cold. If Crouch can manage to write a story without dropping the "f" bomb every other sentence, I might take her more seriously as a writer. Not a book I would recommentd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's just NO way that I could write poetry like that! Good job!

    I just finished the book and will be writing my review over the weekend for its publishing this week. I actually enjoyed the book. It's a good "in-between" book. What I mean is in-between the heavy reads, light read book!

    Sher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great poems! I love the cover and title of this book, but I didn't get into it either. I ended up shelving it before long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun and nice way to say, "No thanks." lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I love the reviews in poem form. :-) It's too bad the book wasn't what you were hoping it would be. It has a fun title, at least. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never read the book but I surely enjoyed the poetry!! Fun way to do a review!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the poems! Especially the limerick! That was some creative and effective rhyming! I'm very impressed!!! And the haiku cracked me up -- but too bad you didn't really love the book!

    Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! I especially love the limerick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those poems were pretty good! The haiku made me laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for all of your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful review! I really enjoyed all your poems, especially the free verse one. The haiku was funny too. Thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog. Hope you enjoy the rest of the challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super job on your reviews! I just love reading these poetic reviews. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rebecca, I just reviewed this book this week as well and have to say I agree in part. I do think Crouch did well with her characterization because Sarah was just SO dysfunctional. She put a face on manic pretty well I thought.

    Like you, I won't be rushing to read any of her further works. This book was too dark for me and I felt slightly decieved by the back of the cover. I was expecting a lighter read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!