June 9, 2009

Quote Game- Smarts and Stuff...


Welcome to this week's Quote Game! The topic for this week is Quotes about Education. These quotes can include anything about school, college, learning, tutoring, study abroad, cooking class, anything where you are getting educated about something. Please leave a comment with your quote(s) and the book they came from for all to enjoy. Also, if you don't have a quote (or even if you do) give some love by telling others which quotes you enjoyed reading!

Here is the quote that I left with you last week to start you off:

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." -C.S. Lewis, source unknown

Next week's topic to look for in your reading is Quotes on Fathers. Father's Day is June 21st, just fyi. Here is a quote to get you started for next week:

"To lose your father is to lose the one whose guidance and help you seek, who supports you like a tree trunk supports its branches." -from Yann Martel's Life of Pi


Look for and remember quotes about fathers that you've read and remember to come by next Tuesday to share them with us! I love reading the quotes you find!

4 comments:

  1. "'Martin, fables are possibly one of the most interesting literary forms ever invented. Do you know what they teach us?'
    'Moral lessons?'
    'No. They teach us that human beings learn and absorb ideas and concepts through narrative, through stories, not through lessons or theoretical speeches.'"

    from The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quote, Kristen! I haven't read The Angel's Game yet but have seen great reviews on it! Thanks for sharing the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this really funny book about two years ago, but I knew it would be perfect for today's topic: The Know-It-All - One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. The book follows Jacob's as he embarks on a journey to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from A to Z. Sorry for the really verbage below, I just thought it was so perfect.

    "I used to be smart. Back in high school and college, I was actually considered somewhat cerebral. I brought D.H. Lawrence novels on vacation, earnestly debated the fundamentals of Marxism, peppered by conversation with words like "albeit". I knew my stuff. Then, in the years since graduating college, I began a long, slow slide into dumbness. At age thirty-five, I've become embarassingly ignorant. If things continue at this rate, by my fortieth birthday, I'll be spending my days watching wheel of fortune and drooling into a bucket.

    Like many in my generation, I've watched my expensive college education recede into a haze. Sure, I remember a couple things from my four years at Brown University. For instance, I remember that a burrito left on the dorm room floor is still somewhat edible after five days, as long as you chew really hard. But as for bona fide book learning?" (Page 2)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerri, I read that book a couple of years ago, too! It was a funny book. I would never be ever to read the encyclopedias. It is humorous how he tries to put the info into everyday conversations! Thanks for playing again this week, Kerri!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!