June 16, 2009

The Quote Game- Father's Day


Welcome to this week's Quote Game! The topic for this week is Quotes about Fathers or Fatherhood. Please leave a comment with your quote(s) and the book they came from for all to enjoy. Also, if you don't have a quote (or even if you do) give some love by telling others which quotes you enjoyed reading!

Here is the quote that I left with you last week to start you off:

"To lose your father is to lose the one whose guidance and help you seek, who supports you like a tree trunk supports its branches." -from Yann Martel's Life of Pi

Next week's topic to look for in your reading is Kissing. Here is a quote to get you started for next week:


"How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said." -Victor Hugo


Look for and remember quotes about kissing that you've read and remember to come by next Tuesday to share them with us! I love reading the quotes you find!

7 comments:

  1. "She brought Kate up in the belief that Papa was the personification of every virtue (the embarrassing situations in which from time to time he found himself arising not from any obliquity but from an excess of amiability), and that it was the duty of his wife and daughter to cherish him." from Georgette Heyer's Cousin Kate

    (obliquity: divergence from moral conduct; immorality, dishonesty or the like)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Daughters are never of much use to their father." --Lady Catherine DeBurgh, P&P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, Natasha: Thank you so much for finding and sharing those quotes! They are both excellent. I am thinking of putting together a site full of notable quotes from books and literature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quote is from an amazing book "Lullabies for Little Criminals" by Heather O'Neill.

    He and my mother had both been fifteen when I was born. She had died a year later, so he'd been left to raise me all by himself. It didn't make him any more mature than any other twenty-six-year-old though. He practically fell on the floor and died when a song that he liked came on the radio. He was always telling people he was color-blind because he thought it made him sound original. He also didn't look much like a parent. He was boyish and had blue eyes with dirty blond hair that stuck up all over the place. It sometimes had the shape of a hat he'd been wearing earlier. I thought of him as my best friend, as if we were almost the same age. (Page 4)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a father quote but I love this! I'm going to try to remember to come up with a kissing quote for next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerri- Wow, cool quote. I will have to look up that title and see what the rest of the book is about. I love the description of his hair sometimes conforming to the shape of a hat. My dad's looked like that a lot (at least back when I was younger and he still had enough hair for it to do this!)

    Marie- Thanks! I do hope you can come back and share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca - it was emotional read, but I just can't say enough good things about the book.

    I can't wait for kissing quotes - I'm sure I can come up with a few of those!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!