June 8, 2009

Monday Review: The Funny Thing Is...by Ellen DeGeneres

BOOK #: 45
CHALLENGES: New Authors Challenge
RATING: 4.5 Stars

"So I go into this health food store and the person at the counter says, 'Let me see your tongue.'
'What?'
'Let me see your tongue...Oh, you're full of toxins.'
'You're full of toxins. What a stupid thing to say to me.'
'You need some wheatgrass juice.'
'Wheatgrass juice! Do I need a sprout wrap, too?'
And she says, 'Your aura's brown.' And I said, 'You're aura's brown! What a stupid thing to say to me.'"

Ellen rocks, doesn't she? This book was wonderfully funny and I loved laughing out loud to everything from health food store encounters to the problem with Golden Delicious apples to meeting God for fondue and Chablis.

Ellen has written a book full of hilarious comic essays. Some I found funnier than others (in fact the first essay was only kind of funny, in my opinion) but there were some essays that I laughed from beginning to end. I think 'Silence is Golden' is my favorite.

The key to reading these essays, I think, is to read it as if Ellen is saying it. If you can imagine her comedic timing and it makes it even funnier. I could just see and hear her saying these things on her talk show. I love her talk show.

I am letting my sister read this book now. She could use some laughs after a tough last few weeks. She likes Ellen, too, so I imagine she will love it. I want to get Ellen's first book now called My Point...and I Do Have One.

I will leave you with another funny quote from her book. Enjoy!

"My personal trainer, Rico, says to me, 'If you like it (pizza) you can have it. Just have one slice.' I don't think I've ever had just one slice of pizza. Unless it was one of those really big slices you buy one at a time. But those are easily three slices of regular pizza in one huge slice shape. I think the only way I could ever eat just one slice of pizza is if I had the one slice and then knocked myself out with a rock."

Other Reviews of this Book:
Serendipity

9 comments:

  1. I really want to read this. I think she is jus so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Ellen! The book sounds like a fun read, and you are right, you can just imagine her saying these things. With Ellen, half the fun is the delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read one of Ellen's books years ago and loved it. I didn't know she'd written another, so I'll have to check it out. I'm glad it made you laugh and put a smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Ellen's funny too, but haven't read any of her books. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Ellen's first book. This one sounds wonderful. She's so funny, I think I'll download this one to my Kindle.

    Oh, I came here from Twitter. See, Twitter works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Ellen; she is so real and so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, have you ever watched Ellen's stand-up concert on DVD? It is so hilarious. We get it out and watch it every now and then whenever we want to laugh hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to a taping of Ellen a few years ago with some friends. The entire point of the trip (we're on the east coast and flew to LA) was to go to the show; it was fantastic!

    I haven't read MY POINT ..., and didn't realize she had another book. I love the excerpts you posted, must put this one on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you hit the nail right on the head...the key to reading a comedian's book is to hear them saying it in your mind! Ellen is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!