June 26, 2009

Friday Finds: 9


The Wonder Singer by George Rabasa
Found @ Unbridled Books
The Wonder Singer is an operatic literary caper about one young writer's manic ambition. The ghostwriter's best chance at fame almost disappears when his Diva dies suddenly in her bath. His solution is to steal the tapes, liberate the Diva's aging husband, and write the autobiography on the run. Abetted by the beautiful but scrupulous Perla, the Señora’s nurse, and by a female impersonator who considers himself the diva’s greatest fan, Lockwood locks himself into his study, endlessly plays the tapes, and begins to craft his greatest book. Once the three conspirators rescue the Señora’s husband from the home she put him in, Lockwood’s sense of his own heart begins to expand beyond his considerable imagination.

The Belly Dancer by DeAnna Cameron

At the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair, the modern, the exotic, and the ground-breaking collide. But Dora Chambers has more pressing matters to consider. Hoping to begin a life of wealth and privilege in Chicago, she sets out to earn the approval of the Fair’s Board of Lady Managers to appease her ambitious, aloof husband. Unimpressed, they give Dora the distasteful task of enforcing proper conduct at the Egyptian belly dancing exhibition. But Dora’s sensibilities are not so easily flustered. She finds herself captivated by these exotic women, and by their enigmatic manager, Hossam Farouk, who makes his mistrust of her known—although his lingering glances hint at something else. As Dora’s eyes are opened to the world beyond a life of social expectations and quiet servitude, she finds the courage to break free of her self-imposed bondage, and discovers the truth about the desire and passion in her own heart.

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
Found @ she reads and reads

Set in Mexico and the U.S. during the 1930s, '40s and '50s, the novel tells the story of fictional Harrison Shepherd, who works for Mexican painter Diego Rivera," notes Bookseller. "Shepherd becomes the confidante of Rivera's artist wife, Frida Kahlo, and then secretary to her one-time lover, Trotsky, until his assassination. Shepherd later flees Mexico for the U.S., where he becomes a bestselling author before coming under a McCarthy-style investigation. The Lacuna is told through Shepherd's diaries and letters, as well as newspaper cuttings," notes the publication.

The Forest Lover by Emily Carr

Found @ Tea Leaves

Valeria's Last Stand by Marc Fitten

Found @ The Boston Bibliophile

The End of the Alphabet by C.S. Richardson

Found @ Books and Needlepoint

Tone Deaf in Bangkok by Janet Brown

Found @ Missy's Book Nook

The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

Found @ Books and Needlepoint

Run by Anne Patchett

Found @ Ready When You Are, C.B.

What did you discover this week?

12 comments:

  1. The Wonder Singer is one for my tbr pile, no doubt -
    thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am overwhelmed by your abundance of fabulous books. The first two are definitely ones for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The End of the Alphabet is a wonderful book. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss The Lacuna? I've got to get hold of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great books and beautiful covers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mention! I almost mentioned The Forest Lover too this week. And The Belly Dancer sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the book art here. If I was going to judge a book just by its cover all of these would quickly end up in Mt TBR.

    Good picks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The End of the Alphabet is one of my favorite books. I discovered a ton of books this week but I'm trying not to really look at them. =)Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some great reading there. I enjoyed The End of the Alphabet, Run, and The Wonder Singer very much. I actually owe that last one a review. Funny enough The Forest Lover, Valeria's Last Stand, and The Wednesday Letters are on my tbr list.
    And now so is Kingsolver's book which I hadn't heard of either. Lacuna and Forest Lover are great choices for the Art History challenge. Ack, I will never catch up. Enjoy your new finds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really looking forward to the Kingsolver book. A friend just told me about that one this week. I need to see what The Wednesday Letters is about - I like that cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover for The Forest Lover looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won The Wonder Singer from a contest and am excited to read it! The End of the Alphabet is short and sweet. And I want to read The Lacuna! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!