June 11, 2009

BTT: My Niche

There are certain types of books that I more or less assume all readers read. (Novels, for example.)

But then there are books that only YOU read. Instructional manuals for fly-fishing. How-to books for spinning yarn. How to cook the perfect souffle. Rebuilding car engines in three easy steps. Dog training for dummies. Rewiring your house without electrocuting yourself. Tips on how to build a NASCAR course in your backyard. Stuff like that.

What niche books do YOU read?


I love, love, love this question. I think it is fascinating. This is the type of question that allows me to get to know my book blogging peers better.

I am an eclectic reader, which you know if you read my blog with any regularity. I like all kinds of books from religion to nature, from literary fiction to mass market mysteries. However, there are three niches that I probably fawn over the most and those are early childhood education books, memoirs, and stories set in other cultures.

Obviously, my interest in early childhood comes from being an early childhood educator. I have a tall, long basket and a box filled with books helping me to be a better teacher. Everything from How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk to The Giant Encyclopedia of Art & Crafts Activities for Children 3 to 6.

I also love memoirs. I have read quite a few and I have many, many more on my list to-read and in my tbr pile. Some favorites are Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.

My last love is books set in other cultures. Some people are scared or intimidated by what they don't understand about others. I find diversity fascinating. It started when I was younger because I got bored very easily. I find learning about other cultures and ways of living to be highly entertaining and I love learning something new, feeling more connected to people different than my nuclear family, and feeling more connected globally. It doesn't matter if the books are fiction, memoirs, history books, or cultural anthropology books. I love it. Three of my favorite fiction books in this niche are Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, The Virgin's Knot by Holly Payne, and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Three of my favorite nonfiction books about other cultures are Secret Daughter by June Cross, Notes from My Travels by Angelina Jolie, and The Scalpel and the Silver Bear by Lori Alvord and Elizabeth Van Cohen.



7 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading memoirs too--and reading about other cultures. Great response this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't picked up any books on how to be a better teacher. I just muddle way along. :) Actually, it never even occurred to me to try to find books about that. I probably should, though-I could definitely use some tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY way along. Maybe I should also get a book on typing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, one more thing (sorry, I know I'm being obnoxious): if you like other cultures I think you'll like this documentary about the Afghanistan version of American Idol. Just being on the show is an act of rebellion against the Taliban for the participants. It's really fascinating.

    http://www.afghanstardocumentary.com/watch_sm.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great niche books! I loved Eat, Pray, Love by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read Kartography by Kamila Shamsie? Since you enjoy books about other cultures, it might be one you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books set in and about other cultures too. I guess my niches are books about children's lit, fairy tales, folklore and mythology.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!